MT ET Street Radial Tires

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

MT ET Street Radial Tires

Post by 1989TransAm »

Doing a couple of engine mods than back to the track. I have the MT ET Street Radials on my car with an A4 transmission. From what I have heard they do not require much of a burnout.

I have been lowering the pressure and the last run was the best at 15psi. Next time out I plan on going to 14psi. So the questions would be what length of tire burn out is best and what air pressure has worked best?
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

how much air pressure depends on vehicle weight tire width and rim width..I will do a dry burnout just leave a couple of black marks on clean concrete and look at the pattern if it is darker and more dense in the middle than the sides i will let some air out
If it is darker on the outsides i will add air untill it is all even....As far as burn out i usually listen to the tire to change pitch and a dry hop to see if i got it ...but that all depends on vehicle.....Start with short burnouts and work your way up till you find your sweet spot
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Thanks Jeff. Going to the track here in SoCal you are lucky if you get 3 passes a day. :D Got to make the most of it.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

have fun our track opens sunday weather permitting at least that is what my son told me....maybe i should take my E150 and put a whoopin on his turbo Z :D
DOTracer
Pro
Pro
Post by DOTracer »

Start at 16 psi and go UP. Radials are meant to be run at higher pressures, not low.

The sweet spot is usually between 18-22 psi cold. I have run 3 different M/T sizes and now testing Hoosiers new DOT D/R. All have worked well with 17.5 to 18 psi cold which puts them at 19 psi hot.

I do a short burnout. I run a th400 starting in second gear, immediately going to high and count to 3 or 4 at most. If it's real hot, I shorten that up to a 1 or 2 count.

Best 60' thus far has been 1.289 footbraking a N/A 461 bbc in a 3400 lb car.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Thanks for the reply. With as little track time as I get I was hoping to get a short cut to the sweet spot from others experinces.