radial front + slick rear

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

miniv8
Expert
Expert

radial front + slick rear

Post by miniv8 »

I have read that radial front tires should not be used with biasply slicks in the rear. A disaster waiting to happen.

Why is that?
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

The thinking behind it is the difference in lateral movement allowed buy the radial as compared to the bias ply tire. When you think of it there is a difference in lateral movement even in different sized radial tires. wheel width and tire profile hight can add or subtract from this a bit too. When radial tires first came out, it gave me an uneasy feeling with feed back from road which we all got used to. So I believe it is more of a deal where you tend to over correct the steering more that lateral movement steering car. Most people don't feel the difference in tires but there is some lateral movement before the tire gets set for side bite. It's what you do with the feel that can make it dangerous. With a very low profile front radial and a taller profile bias plied slick, I wouldn't think it would be that bad. Especially drag racing where most pump front tires up as hard as Superman's knee cap to cut rolling resistance.
Older I get the less I know for sure
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

I saw somewhere a video of a car that pretty quickly got sideways in the top end and rolled. It was supposed to have happened because of that radial/biasply thing.

We lost a car very similar to what happened in that video, but the officials said it was because of funky aerodynamics. Our car had radials up front and slicks in the rear.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Just an opinion (despite my sig), but slicks have horrible side bite and waddle like ducks at the best of times, so I don't know how any differences at the front could make it worse. Ever drive even a block or two on the street with slicks? Scary! :roll:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

MadBill wrote:. Ever drive even a block or two on the street with slicks? Scary! :roll:
Why, no....that would be against the law. :D

:wink:
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

I raced my dragster Jeep CJ7 all the time with Pirelli Radials up front and full Hoosier slicks in the back. Never had an issue and it never felt unsafe. Actually, it was all over the track with only bias ply tires.

it ran straight as an arrow on slippery tracks with 11oo hp and short wheelbase
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru
Post by Warpspeed »

Suire Coolchevy.

But if it ever DID get a bit sideways on you, you would probably be sitting in the middle of a total wreck once it finally stopped.

Find a big open space like an unused airport, and try deliberately drifting your car sideways at reasonable speed. Take a fresh change of clean underwear, you will probably need it.

Sure it feels safe, like a train feels safe while still running on the rails. But once it starts to get a bit out of shape, it will quite likely suddenly become completely uncontrollable.
Cheers, Tony.