"U.S. Crankshaft", by Scat........

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

Engguy wrote:Thats all politics and has nothing to do with the strength, and quality of the material.
It's all about being up front about the origin of one's products.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

California, (where SCAT is located), has a law which distinguishes the LEGALITY of how a product can be labeled a U.S.A. part.

They have taken "political correctness" away from shady labeling and made a company present a more insightful avenue of telling the way that part got to the marketplace, in order for that part to wear the "made in U.S.A." label...

I don't usually agree with California legalities however, I think this is one instance which NEEDS to become federal law.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: "U.S. Crankshaft", by Scat........

Post by enigma57 »

machine shop tom wrote:I just received my "Engine Builder" magazine the other day. It came with a flyer or catalog rack insert from U.S Crankshaft, apparently a division or new name for Scat. The products in the flyer are billet and forged crankshafts.

To me the name "U.S. Crankshaft" implies that the products sold are U.S. made. But there is no indication that the products in the flyer are any different than the imported items already offered by Scat. I will say that the machining is apparently done in the U.S., but the raw pieces are "the finest billet material in the world".

Now, I may be splitting hairs here, but shouldn't one be able to expect that something labeled as a "U.S. Crankshaft" product be something that is actually MADE in the U.S.?

tom
Reminds me in some ways of something my folks related to me when I was a teenager, Tom. Seems that priour to and immediately following the 2nd World War, Japan was importing a lot of scrap metal from us here Stateside and dumping inferior products on the American market.

Some of these products were marked 'MADE IN USA'. (There actually is a town in Japan on the island of Kyushu by the name of Usa, you see.) So our government thereafter required items actually made in the U.S. of A. to be marked with periods between the 'U', the 'S' and the 'A' ('Made in U.S.A.'), but I am not sure whether that is strictly enforced anymore.

Yes, I know that snopes says this isn't factual. But I recall my Step-Dad showing me 2 pairs of pliers he had when he and my Mom told me of this. One had 'MADE IN USA' in raised letters cast into the handle. This pair was of obvious poor quality and was broken. The other pair was drop forged and then machined...... Marked 'Made in U.S.A.', the letters being machined into a relief to frame them and were better quality than most of the stuff you see on the shelves now of days. I still have them in my tool box and use them regularly.

And regarding snopes...... Just as with Wikipedia, the info there comes from contributing writers. I have found glaring factual errors in both on several occasions...... So I take what is said in both snopes and Wikipedia with a grain of salt.

Also, in the Northern Mariana Islands...... On Saipan and other islands there...... Goods produced there have been permitted to be labeled 'Made in U.S.A.' since the end of the 2nd World War. Most of the Chinese run sweat shop garment factories there utilizing Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Korean child labour and women indentured to what we here in Texas refer to as 'coyotes'...... Have finally closed down. I cannot help but wonder though...... What other goods funneled through there are marked 'Made in U.S. A.' and sold as such here Stateside these days.

Best regards,

Harry
Last edited by enigma57 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Re: "U.S. Crankshaft", by Scat........

enigma57 wrote:
Reminds me in some ways of something my folks related to me when I was a teenager, Tom. Seems that priour to and immediately following the 2nd World War, Japan was importing a lot of scrap metal from us here Stateside and dumping inferior products on the American market.
Best regards,

Harry
My dad was on the U.S.S. Fanshaw Bay (CVE 70) during the Battle off Samar in October 1944 (www.bosamar.com).

In 1959 the Fanny Bee was sold as scrap.

To Japan.........

tom

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Not to get too far off topic, but its never easy to see ships you served aboard or worked on scrapped or sunk as targets, Tom.

USS Sailfish SINKEX......

http://bubbleheads.blogspot.com/2008/02 ... mmers.html

In some ways, its like working for years building a truly unique car. Putting a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the build and at some point selling it...... Then coming across it later in a wrecking yard or farmer's field too far gone to save.

Your Dad's ship......

http://www.navysite.de/cve/cve70.htm

Best regards,

Harry

P.S. >>>> You have mail!
US CRANKSHAFT

U.S. CRANKSHAFT, DIVISION OF SCAT Enteprises, Inc.

Post by US CRANKSHAFT »

SCAT has manufactured crankshafts in the U.S. since 1966. We are the oldest performance crankshaft company in the United States. We have the most versatile offering of cast, forged and billet crankshafts. SCAT is the benchmark in the crank world. Everything from our name, unique designs, cataloging, advertising, manufacturing technique, part numbers, engineering and material development have been copied. We enjoy the most prestigious customers and our cranks have one in every race venue except Formula One.

The U.S. Crankshaft catalog explains in detail every aspect of our decision to separate the billet manufacturing from the general product line. Our billet material is purchased in the U.S. but has origin from British steel. The billet supplier also services all the other manufacturers in the U.S. Our manufacturing of the billet material into a crankshaft is done 100% at SCAT and the heat treating is done by the same heat treating facility that services all the west coast crankshaft manufacturers.

Below is a link to an editorial written for the August, 2005 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. This will explain further the reality of the world we live in.

http://www.uscrankshaft.com/misc/doc/Bench_Racing.pdf

P.S. If you have any further questions or comments we will be at the PRI show in Orlando, Florida from 12-10-2009 – 12-12-2009. Or you can reach us anytime at SCAT 6 days a week. If you have further doubts, visit us and we will personally give you a tour of our modern facility.
U.S. Crankshafts, by SCAT, manufacturers of custom billet crankshafts
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Re: U.S. CRANKSHAFT, DIVISION OF SCAT Enteprises, Inc.

US CRANKSHAFT wrote:SCAT has manufactured crankshafts in the U.S. since 1966. We are the oldest performance crankshaft company in the United States. We have the most versatile offering of cast, forged and billet crankshafts. SCAT is the benchmark in the crank world. Everything from our name, unique designs, cataloging, advertising, manufacturing technique, part numbers, engineering and material development have been copied. We enjoy the most prestigious customers and our cranks have one in every race venue except Formula One.

The U.S. Crankshaft catalog explains in detail every aspect of our decision to separate the billet manufacturing from the general product line. Our billet material is purchased in the U.S. but has origin from British steel. The billet supplier also services all the other manufacturers in the U.S. Our manufacturing of the billet material into a crankshaft is done 100% at SCAT and the heat treating is done by the same heat treating facility that services all the west coast crankshaft manufacturers.

Below is a link to an editorial written for the August, 2005 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. This will explain further the reality of the world we live in.

P.S. If you have any further questions or comments we will be at the PRI show in Orlando, Florida from 12-10-2009 – 12-12-2009. Or you can reach us anytime at SCAT 6 days a week. If you have further doubts, visit us and we will personally give you a tour of our modern facility.
Thank you for clearing that up.

I would submit that questions or comments like mine would have been unnecessary had Scat made it clear in it's advertisements and catalogs what you have made clear in your post.

You have made an admirable effort in your US Crankshaft catalog, Volume 1, November 2009, to separate the billet manufacturing from the general line. If they are (for the most part) made in the USA, you would probably garner even more business and good will if you would make that clear to the end user.

tom

andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

rmcomprandy wrote:California, (where SCAT is located), has a law which distinguishes the LEGALITY of how a product can be labeled a U.S.A. part.

They have taken "political correctness" away from shady labeling and made a company present a more insightful avenue of telling the way that part got to the marketplace, in order for that part to wear the "made in U.S.A." label...

I don't usually agree with California legalities however, I think this is one instance which NEEDS to become federal law.
There are various labeling laws in place today but they don't really mean much. For example, I used to work at a place that sold products to the Feds. The Feds have a sourcing content rule that prohibits them from buying products made in certain countries. One of our products was on the "no sale" list so we sent those products to an "approved" country where the product was partially taken apart and put back together. That activity met the guidelines and everyone was happy. The Feds got the product they wanted and it met their rules. We sold the product and got the money. The folks in the "bad" country made their profit and the folks in the "good" country made some money. Only person who got screwed was the taxpayer who had to pay extra for all of the silly BS created by Congress and their stupidity.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

machine shop tom wrote:Regardless of crappy a product may or may not be, the consumer has the right to know of it's origin so he may have the choice of contributing or not to an entity he may or not favor.

tom
Amen, brother. I remember when Patriot Cylinder heads first came out with the American flag waving in it's advertisments. That is intentionally misleading. And it DOES matter.

JMO,

paulie
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro

Post by bubbabbc »

US CRANKSHAFT wrote:SCAT has manufactured crankshafts in the U.S. since 1966. We are the oldest performance crankshaft company in the United States. We have the most versatile offering of cast, forged and billet crankshafts. SCAT is the benchmark in the crank world. Everything from our name, unique designs, cataloging, advertising, manufacturing technique, part numbers, engineering and material development have been copied. We enjoy the most prestigious customers and our cranks have one in every race venue except Formula One.

Which Indy Car race was won with one of your crankshafts? Which IMSA GTP/GTU car won with one of your crankshafts?

Thanks
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bubbabbc wrote:[
Which Indy Car race was won with one of your crankshafts? Which IMSA GTP/GTU car won with one of your crankshafts?
What the heck does that have to do with anything.
IndyCar is a spec series that runs de-tuned Honda engines with rev-limiters.

How much power do GTP/GTU engines make?
I've seen more then one 800+hp circle track engine with a scat crank in it.
I think you'd be supprised who scat makes cranks for.

BTW bubba, how many Indy Car and IMSA race winners did you contribute to?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro

Post by bubbabbc »

CamKing wrote:
bubbabbc wrote:[
What the heck does that have to do with anything.
IndyCar is a spec series that runs de-tuned Honda engines with rev-limiters.

How much power do GTP/GTU engines make?
I've seen more then one 800+hp circle track engine with a scat crank in it.
I think you'd be supprised who scat makes cranks for.

BTW bubba, how many Indy Car and IMSA race winners did you contribute to?
The closest I ever came to supporting an Indy Car or IMSA team was back in 1988. I held an umbrella for Myron Billingsly during a terrible thunderstorm at a 1/4 mile dirt track IMCA race in Nebraska. He finished seventh in the consi, so I never did stay for the feature.

Back to a more pleasant subject, crankshafts. My comment wasn't meant to be derogatory in any way. The old Indy car series and IMSA cars back in the 80's and 90's were two of the more elite classes running. As Scat is the oldest crankshaft manufacturer, I simply asked what teams won with Scat cranks. I guess I didn't realize that my question seemed sarcastic or demeaning. But I guess I had this one coming, as you hadn't yet gotten into a spat with me. Just ring me up as another victim.
You win King Mike.
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

CamKing wrote:.........
What the heck does that have to do with anything.........
Perhaps bubba just wants the claim backed up?

tom

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

machine shop tom wrote: Perhaps bubba just wants the claim backed up?
Perhaps bubba can take a man at his word?
The guy comes here because a few dip-sh1ts, short on facts, but big on opinions, are badsmouthing his company.
He tries to set the record straight, and even says to call him, or stop by for a tour.

I couldn't give you the names of the drivers that were running my cams when they won The 24 hours of Daytona, or the Baja 1,000, but their pictures are on my wall. There are other names I can't give because of contracts I've signed.

This guy was way more upfront then he needed to be, and to insult him by asking for proof, is just wrong.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bubbabbc wrote: The old Indy car series and IMSA cars back in the 80's and 90's were two of the more elite classes running.
In the 80's and 90's, the name "Indy Car" was owned by CART.
The engines used during that time, were sealed and leased to the teams by Cosworth, Ilmor, Toyota, and Honda. From an engine builder's standpoint, they were far from elite.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449