Good and bad forums .

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

ducatisti
Good and bad forums .

Post by ducatisti »

Im so glad speedtalk is a good quality forum . I was a member of a uk cylinderhead and racing engine forum that had strict protocols .

However after being a well respected member for 3 years i was singled out after not posting for a few months due to a simple dash text message like error. My post was removed and personal message recieved stating i could re-post if i corrected it but with the threat of being banned forever . This annoyed me but i swallowed my pride and re-posted. My thread was removed and once again the threat of being banned was there . This was for one letter in a 7 paragraph responce not being capitalised . All in i reposted twice due to very petty errors .

Recieving this threat of being banned over one capital letter and the feeling of having to post my message again to respond and help somone out was annoying . Spelling is inportant but some as i do suffer from dyslexia . Its taken me three years of hard work to correct my writing skills and to be put down by somone who proclaims to be perfect annoys me.

Instead of swallowing my pride once again and reposting the whole message as asked i decided to ask for my membership to be terminated after stating i was an engine builder not a writer . As asked i was terminated then i find the guy used my private message responce to make an example out of me on his forum. Yes privated messages are supposed to be private . I have lost my respect big time for this guy and he obviously posted my private message just to provoke me and make a point. I guess iam dropping to his level now talking about it online just as he did .
governor
Expert
Expert

PM's

Post by governor »

I would be real careful what I sent in a PM to anyone.

PM means personal message, NOT private message. I found this out from a friend of mine who is a moderator on another site that I frequent.

Some site have many, many moderators that see all that comes thru their key hole.

Always remember, big brother is watching you.

Gov
a passion for racing
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

I have often been amazed at what people post about, thinking they are anonymous. Nothing is, on the 'net.

Richard
tb_3456

Post by tb_3456 »

I agree this is the best engine forum on the web. I'm privileged to be aloud to listen while these guy's talk. :)

As to the other site - There is only so much time in a day don't waste any.

Tom
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: PM's

Post by enigma57 »

governor wrote:I would be real careful what I sent in a PM to anyone.

PM means personal message, NOT private message. I found this out from a friend of mine who is a moderator on another site that I frequent.

Some site have many, many moderators that see all that comes thru their key hole.

Always remember, big brother is watching you.

Gov
Ditto that, Gov! Found the same thing to be true at a site I used to frequent as well. The Moderator of one of the forums there had it in for a certain member there and really gave him an undeserved rough time. It was during this sad episode that this revelation regarding PMs came to light.

Best regards,

Harry
ducatisti
Post by ducatisti »

rskrause wrote:I have often been amazed at what people post about, thinking they are anonymous. Nothing is, on the 'net.

Richard
The guy who posted my private message was infact the sites owner ...wtf..
Thanks for the support guys. I would put up a link to direct you there to see what a 1st prize pr..k he is but thats wrong . Shame as the owner does do good head work and nice detailed reports are posted there.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

As a Mod here, I can say that if I can read other's PM's, I have no clue about how. I think Don is the only guy here who - possibly - can do that.
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

I have got Mod privelages on Darts board, just to remove spam on the weekends. As far as I know, I cannot view others pm's. I can't honestly say that I would ever want too.
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
integrale Evo

Post by integrale Evo »

I saw what was posted up by the 'guy' whose site you were invited to leave, I thought it underhand to be posting up publicly what had gone on in private, he has even opened a debate about it! (with all of three replies) To publicly ridicule someone after you have blocked them so they can't answer back is pretty low.

In one way I am in agreement with him, intellectual standards in the UK have fallen dramatically and poor spelling, text speak etc make me wince, there is no excuse for it when you are sat in front of a computer as it is very easy to check your spelling. Sadly I can't get away from the feeling that if you come across as an uneducated lazy oaf then you probably are one, it isn't always true of course, but I just can't help it, first impressions count.

On the other side of the coin his forum is very quiet with no regulars as they have probably all fallen foul of the extensive list of do's and don'ts and he regularly breaks the rules himself - including shocking grammar so how he can preach I dunno, double standards. It just seems to be a show of his talents to bring in business and not a forum.
ducatisti
Post by ducatisti »

integrale Evo wrote:I saw what was posted up by the 'guy' whose site you were invited to leave, I thought it underhand to be posting up publicly what had gone on in private, he has even opened a debate about it! (with all of three replies) To publicly ridicule someone after you have blocked them so they can't answer back is pretty low.

In one way I am in agreement with him, intellectual standards in the UK have fallen dramatically and poor spelling, text speak etc make me wince, there is no excuse for it when you are sat in front of a computer as it is very easy to check your spelling. Sadly I can't get away from the feeling that if you come across as an uneducated lazy oaf then you probably are one, it isn't always true of course, but I just can't help it, first impressions count.

On the other side of the coin his forum is very quiet with no regulars as they have probably all fallen foul of the extensive list of do's and don'ts and he regularly breaks the rules himself - including shocking grammar so how he can preach I dunno, double standards. It just seems to be a show of his talents to bring in business and not a forum.
"A show of his talants to bring in business "

Agreed for sure. It seems more of a cult than a forum of free independant debates and speech . His way only and everyone is just a mere follower :(
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

I noticed that you used a small i when refering to yourself. What about it guys, Do you think he should be kicked off of this board for that gigatanc... gigutiganc... hugge.......Reilly,Reilly Big mistakke? :lol:

If I had to use totally proper wording, spelling or grammar to use this board i wouldn't have a snow balls chance to begin with.

TTLFSC (thank the lord for spell check) (I use the GA. redneck version myself)

Welcome!
integrale Evo

Post by integrale Evo »

Shopboss wrote:I noticed that you used a small i when refering to yourself. What about it guys, Do you think he should be kicked off of this board for that gigatanc... gigutiganc... hugge.......Reilly,Reilly Big mistakke? :lol:
I don't understand?
Last edited by integrale Evo on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

member for 3 years i was singled

I was referring to the original post by ducatisti. Example above.
It was a poor attempt at a joke. Thus all of the misspelled words in my response. Heck I'm still trying to speak English even after being born and raised in the south. :lol: