Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: A New Engine Contest

Post by gmrocket »

to many experts here have no idea whats involved just to get a bunch domestic V8's on and off the dyno during an eight our period. its a thrash at the EMC , even with all the help of the crew at the school.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Here is an update on "A New Engine Contest". Over a month ago I asked the powers that be at the University of NW Ohio (UNOH) to consider holding another engine contest. As of yesterday they turned us down. We have several other possible locations on our list, but it will be hard to beat what UNOH has to offer.
As soon as we nail down a location it will be the start of a return to the days of a Real Engine Challenge.
Stay tuned.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Gregory wrote:Here is an update on "A New Engine Contest". Over a month ago I asked the powers that be at the University of NW Ohio (UNOH) to consider holding another engine contest. As of yesterday they turned us down. We have several other possible locations on our list, but it will be hard to beat what UNOH has to offer.
As soon as we nail down a location it will be the start of a return to the days of a Real Engine Challenge.
Stay tuned.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
That EMC engine contest does upset their school for an entire week so, they probably don't want for that to happen TWICE.
I believe there is an automotive college with dynos in Indiana somewhere or is it Illinois; I forget which.

EDIT: I just looked-up the one I was thinking of and it is "Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology" in Terre Haute, Indiana.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

exhaustgases wrote:And why does it have to be an automotive college? There are a lot of small shops in various states that have dyno's.
An automotive type school has a built-in work force which is certainly welcomed to accomplish the fast multiple engine turnover on the dyno(s).
Fordracer347
Pro
Pro

Post by Fordracer347 »

exhaustgases wrote:And why does it have to be an automotive college? There are a lot of small shops in various states that have dyno's.
You're right, there are maybe thousands of small shops that have a dyno, I'm one of them.

The problem is logistics. We're talking about somewhere between 10-30 engines total over a few classes. If you're talking about one single dyno that's a reaqlly big hustle to get 3 engines on a day so you're looking about almost 10 days of competition and a crazy fast pace!

The other problem is repeatability, with my dyno and that much usage its hard to maintain a consistent water temp for the brake.

To do this and do it well, you need a really well funded facility with at least two dynos preferably three or four.
GPM Race Engines
Custom Machining, Dyno Service, Automotive & Marine
http://www.gpmraceengines.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GPM-Race ... 8632920064
Twitter: @ GPMracengines
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Fordracer347 wrote:
You're right, there are maybe thousands of small shops that have a dyno, I'm one of them.

The problem is logistics. We're talking about somewhere between 10-30 engines total over a few classes. If you're talking about one single dyno that's a reaqlly big hustle to get 3 engines on a day so you're looking about almost 10 days of competition and a crazy fast pace!

The other problem is repeatability, with my dyno and that much usage its hard to maintain a consistent water temp for the brake.

To do this and do it well, you need a really well funded facility with at least two dynos preferably three or four.
yup, and the shop would need a fair number of engine carts that can be ready to go with loaded engines..if an engine fails to start, or breaks soon into the session,,you need to be ready to switch it out with another cart right away or go to the other dyno which should be ready to run.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

The first couple Engine Masters Contests had REGIONALs and FINALs taking one week each; two times.
Each region had about 12 to 16 engines at 3 different locations with one dyno and the top 4 or 5 engines from those locations met for a FINALS at another location.

That seemed to be a giant hassle, especially with shipping, and two weeks, non consecutive, was a real hardship for contestants so, they went to a singular location with 3 dyno's needing only 1 week for the entire contest.
That worked for a while but, then that facility was paying and supplying the work force to get it all done and that became unacceptable.
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

Rizzle wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:So in other words no one really cares to see something different, nothing new, no new and great ideas. In the very old days racing was supposed to improve the automobile because of the new ideas that were thought up, just like Smokey and all his inventiveness. Okay keep rules and regulations, but still there could be one category that opens it up for the person that wants to attempt something different. The only rules should be Reciprocating, some sort of fuel burning or usage, physical size, and max hp, and holding it for 5 minutes or more, Max hp so you don't end up with someone trashing the dyno with a top A fuel engine, this would be the big attraction at any "True" engine masters type competition.
So you just want your type of rules package, eh?

Everything has rules. Inventiveness isn't just playing without rules, its playing within them. Earlier EMC entries have had some out of the box ideas (most of Mr. Kaase's I believe, though the EMC hemi 4 TB / IR intake is well up there) that would never have come out without a rules package limiting those areas in another manner.
Smokey's ideas came about because rules promote creativeness to beat those rules.
F1 energy recovery tech is at the forefront of ideal recovery paths when considering weight. The Turbulent jet ignition in F1 is a racing showcase of creative thinking, applied within rules.

I wish the competition supported the contestants better. It always seemed like they got the short end of the stick, for the effort, time, and money they put in.
Boy did we have fun doing it too! :D
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

Greg, I believe you called me at one point but I missed your call.

One question.....how do you plan to get contestants exposure doing this?
Bulletbob

Post by Bulletbob »

Hello Nick,
The amount of exposure for the contestants and sponsors are what Greg and I have been working on along with a location. This is probably the biggest bump in the road you have when trying to orchestrate something like this. As engine builders we want recognition on a national level but the sponsors do also. The object is to have the event as a "win,win" for everyone. This also brings up the topic of location because it needs to be somewhat centrally located for everyone. At this point Greg and I have narrowed down several locations and are working logistics to see which location would be best. I do want to say Thanks for the amount input and feedback we have had which has helped in establishing the need for a new engine contest. Please keep the replies coming and help to pass the information along to others. Hopefully after the 4th of July we will have the location established and "unveil" more about the contest.

Thanks,

Bob McDonald
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Engine Builders and former EMC participants keep your fingers crossed; we have a very favorable situation/location in the works. Too early to give details, but our guiding light remains an engine contest designed by and for engine builders!
Greg Finnican
704 525-5565
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

Wow!
Bulletbob

Post by Bulletbob »

Just wanted to say that so far Greg and I are still working to get everything in order. There have been some obstacles along the way but so far we have been able to overcome and open new doors. Please be patient and stay tuned and hopefully we will have more to bring you in the next several days.
Sincerely,
Bob
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

This is encouraging. I have been working with a local promotor in B.C the last few years in an attempt to organize a low cost engine competition deal in Canada as well. If someone on hear want's to include that in there plans. P.M. me and I can either back away or join forces to help with some of the logistics and planning for B.C. and or western Canada.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

You haven't heard from us in a while but, good things are coming together for a NEW ENGINE CONTEST.
As we outlined before, this will be an engine contest for engine builders by engine builders.
Hopefully, when the last few pieces are put together in the not to distant future we will be
rolling out the details. Best of all, engine builders and vendors will be getting the media exposure
they deserve.
So stay tuned as we work to push this over the finish line.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356