No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Midwest ice storm.

Post by pdq67 »

How's it outside where you are at?

Here where I am at in Columbia, MO, we have like a 1/16" to maybe an 1/8th" of ice everywhere.

But it's not, "misting/raining", any so hopefully we won't get any more. It's 29 degrees out headed to 32.

Stay inside unless you just have to go out because it is a mess out there.

pdq67
TEROL
Re: Midwest ice storm.

Post by TEROL »

I feel for anyone caught in an ice storm situation. We had one several years ago that brought everything to a halt for a full week. Now we are fully prepared with a generator,food and water supply for a month or so plus other needed items. Today on the Maine coast temps are -10F with a light wind, no snow just bare ground, though frozen, and bright but ineffective sun once daybreak comes.
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Midwest ice storm.

Post by pdq67 »

TEROL wrote:I feel for anyone caught in an ice storm situation. We had one several years ago that brought everything to a halt for a full week. Now we are fully prepared with a generator,food and water supply for a month or so plus other needed items. Today on the Maine coast temps are -10F with a light wind, no snow just bare ground, though frozen, and bright but ineffective sun once daybreak comes.
That was back in like '02 or so in north central MO.

I was up in Macon, MO at my Mom's place and it was absolutely amazing listening to and watching the transformers blow, the lines going down and all the sparking and the trees breaking sounding like 12 gauge shotguns or M-80 firecrackers going off.

The town was dark where I was at and people were outside yelling, trying to talk to their neighbors and the dogs barking, scared to death.

The temp. was right at 32.1 degrees or so and it was raining. Funny thing though, the ground wasn't iced over but just above ground level was where all the ice was on up to the tops of everything.

That ice storm went from just west of Paris, MO, down to just south of Moberly, MO, up to just past Kirksville, MO and all the way over to KCMO. it took a week before things got back to normal and crews were pulled in as far away as FL.

pdq67