Dyno Fire - Take a moment to read this please.

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Re: Take a moment to read this please.

Post by psychomotors »

Sorry to hear this and I think we all appreciate the warnings. I will be putting a ground strap on my main gas jug soon. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Many new posts with some great info and insight, thanks to all for talking that time and the pics are a great help.

Brian, ou812,
I am so very glad to hear you will be altering your habits... which, are the same as everyone else I have ever seen in all the years I have been at this stuff.

I applaud and appreciate the information about grounding, etc. But even if you have all that done, or maybe it is not quite correct, or heck what if another source ignites the fuel (somehow).... Then My thoughts are that if you are wearing appropriate protective gear, you have a chance at protecting yourself and possibly reacting to contain the fire.

I was alone in the shop. Not uncommon for any of us to be doing something like this without a helper.

The what-ifs could go on all day, but let's keep this near the top and active so the maximum number of people notice it.

Ryan
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

As a side note about static electric: Some years ago I was working on a work bench with a metal top. My wooden tool box sat on the bench with a radio on top. While listening to an AM radio station, I reached for something and knocked the tuning knob off the station far enough that the radio was only picking up static. Because I was in the middle of fixing something, I didn't retune back to the station I was listening to. To my surprise I noticed every time I picked up a wrench and laid it back on the bench top, there was a "pop" in the radio. I repeated the action quite a few times and noticed it only took about 10 seconds for my body to absorb enough static electric to make a noise in the radio.
That was an epiphany for me. People who work with computer electronics wear grounded wrist cuffs for a good reason. All you need do to pick up static electric is be alive. It's out there waiting for its next victim.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

Friend of mine who work at oil refinery at times bring me the work clothes and those are antistatic (i.e conduct elecricity).Clothes are in free delivery since IF you HAVE to go and repair some crude oil leak the clothes are trash bin.. as well as boots.Very top end products with classifications about everything disclosing radiation 8)

How many of you use safety shoes/boots? I have always used safety work shoes because the one time that the BBC cast iron head slip from hands/tilt from table etc...
Safety shoes probably don't prevent some damage but inherently better than seeing your toes separating feet :shock: #-o
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Take a moment to read this please.

Post by Mike Laws »

Sorry to hear about this Ryan! Hoping for a full & speedy recovery for you my friend.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

pamotorman wrote:
Zmechanic wrote:The talk of a gas water heater igniting garage fumes is eye opening as well. I just moved into a house with a gas water heater in the garage. :shock: Gonna have to keep my head screwed on tight.
if the heater is elevated off of the floor no problem as gasoline fumes are heavy and move along the floor. if you spill raw gasoline in that area all bets are off.
National electrical code for commercial vehicle garages requires all spark producing electrical devices be a minimum of 18 inches from the floor, outlets, switches, motors etc..Good practice to follow in a residential garage or shop ....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

R.Brown wrote:.... In my case, a 6" tall snow bank saved my life.
Ryan, did you have the shop open to outside air or was it closed and heated or some combination of the two immediately prior to and during the fuel transfer?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Morning Kevin,

Nothing out of the ordinary, fans spinning with air going thru the room. Could not pinpoint temp for you tho.

ryan
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Mike Laws wrote:Sorry to hear about this Ryan! Hoping for a full & speedy recovery for you my friend.

Mike
Thank you Mike.. will be a long road back, but I'm hoping to break the speed limit, lol,

Looking forward to the next time we chat,

Ryan
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

Very sorry to hear this Ryan, wish you all the best in your recovery. I spoke to you last year about doing a dominator for a 600in BBC but you were too busy to get it done in time for my customer. Good on you for making people think twice about filling anything. Just think of all the lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed whackers, dirtbikes, snowmobiles etc million of people fill every day without a ground, myself included. This shit always seems to happen to the good guys. The dangers of flammable liquids. My niece's husband was sitting by their fire pit tending to it and the fuckin idiot from next door figures the fire is not going good enough. grabs some diesel and throws a large amount towards the fire, the fire explodes into a huge fireball that engulfs niece's hubby and hubby spends the next 6 months in the hospital. The Doctors said it was a miracle he survived. He has had multiple surgeries. Bozo says I'll pay for whatever yo guys need, that lasts about 6 months and now they are suing him.
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Hi Racerrick,

What a terrible story. Glad to hear he is alive and he would have endured a great deal of pain to pull thru.

When chatting with the people who knew about this happening to me, they have all told me how they have changed their ways when fueling things like snowblowers, generators, etc.

The food service guy at the hospital asked me one day about 2 weeks into my stay what happened to me. When I told him, his face went white and he said that his landscaping business in the summer usually left their equipment (including push mowers) running while refueling :shock:

Ryan
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

R.Brown wrote:Morning Kevin,

Nothing out of the ordinary, fans spinning with air going thru the room. Could not pinpoint temp for you tho.

ryan
The reason that I ask is because low temperature and low relative humidity static risk outdoors can be accentuated by exposing this same air to a heated closed environment. See 2622 and 3243 in the attachment.
1966_TCR-77.pdf
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Thanks Kevin, 3243 was particularly interesting. I appreciate your insight,

cheers,
Ryan
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope all heals quickly. My buddy lit himself up doing a inline 4 motorcycle motor years ago....expensive Moto GP fuel was being tested (stuff was like $40/gal) so gas was being conserved...draining bank of carbs into flat cookie tray to capture fuel.....he brushed tray against a 12VDC source and that was all it took...instant flames with tray in his arms below the motor on the dyno stand...had 1st and 2nd degree burns on arms and forehead took him months to recover. Race fuel is highly volatile compared to pump gas. Take care and heal well.