Dyno Fire - Take a moment to read this please.

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Take a moment to read this please.

Post by MadBill »

Circlotron wrote:Partially conductive anti-static plastic is very widely used in the ectronics industry for packaging of some sensitive components. One wonders why they can't also use this or similar kind of plastic for fuel containers.
They do. But if the container isn't touching the tank, the flow of gasoline can build up a static charge. I've filled and first hand seen filled many hundreds of race cars over a 50 year period. All but one were non-events. The one was inside a trackside race shop and the owner was fueling it at the trunk. No smokers, grinding, etc. going on anywhere around. A ten foot fireball enveloped the car. Thank God the guy took two giant steps out of the shop, rather than just reflectively flinging the jug. He was in his race suit and balaclava and didn't get a mark, but the nearest bystander lost some hair and got second degree burns on his arm and shoulder. The fireball was gone in a blink, but it left stray bits of tire 'marbles' smoldering all the way forward to the radiator grill. The shop had a policy of requiring a tank ground strap on any cars they serviced, but his one wasn't 'officially' on their roster and was ungrounded.
Ever since whenever I'm near a refueling operation , I pick up an extinguisher and watch like a hawk to be sure the container spout is in contact with the tank.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Thanks for posting and for the other comments, I'll think a lot more when handling gasoline and paint solvents. Never thought about a ground wire before. There's been quite a few fires caused in the paint industry from static-sometimes just cleaning a plastic or fiberglass part with solvent is enough to cause it from static. I was in a spraybooth with a PPG rep about 16 years ago when he got a call from corporate requiring him to pull a certain cleaner from his market area, the exact cleaner we were using at the time... somebody had gotten killed when static lit it off in a paint booth.
Pro question poster.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Guy i know had exactly the same thing happen, filling a generator with a plastic can, lowd nylon type shirt, heard a click from the static electricity then all bad!
It is very real!
Good luck with your recovery!
Cheers
Paul
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

NHRA rules require that a fuel cell be grounded, for this very reason.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Sorry to hear of your accident Ryan and God speed on getting better, and yes it sounds like the perfect storm !

Besides being a gear head I Also repair electronics and am fully aware of how a static discharge can take semiconductors , or you!
One time when working on a item of gear I had used Actone to clean up some melted fiberglass circuit board residue and a little bit of excess had dripped into a pocket on the chassis, I was wearing wool and as I turned back around in my material covered chair and my hand approached the chassis a static discharge ignited the left over Actone!
I burned itself out on all of 2 or 3 seconds , but had I still had the can of Actone open and near me who knows what might have taken place!

You don't need a fire suite, just be sure to fully discharge yourself next time.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

Very sorry to hear about this and i pray you continue tyo get better. Safety is such an important thing and its good you brought it to everyones attention while pouring fuel in the cell. Step back and take that extra time to think things through that could happen while handling fuel. I agree about having protective gear for now on. Safety is so important. Good luck to you.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I am truly sorry for your pain. I appreciate that you reminded us how dangerous what we do for a living can have a detriment in an instant. I wish you well and it is a great reminder for all of us to take that extra few seconds to make sure we are safe as well as others around us.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
rp930
Pro
Pro

Post by rp930 »

Thank you so much for the reminder. As I age I find I need to slow down and think first.

My wife is going through cancer treatment and I will pass on the best advice I was given. A to B, not A to Z. Take one day at a time and work through it slowly. God bless.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

The talk of a gas water heater igniting garage fumes is eye opening as well. I just moved into a house with a gas water heater in the garage. :shock: Gonna have to keep my head screwed on tight.
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

Thanks for the well wishes and the insight. The ground strap or grounding in general is key to this, yes.

My present theory is that the friction from fuel going thru the filter element in the plastic funnel contributed to this. When the fuel jug was lifted off the funnel, spark. This of course goes along with the perfect storm cold and dry conditions.

Ryan
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Per: http://www.experimentalaircraft.info/fl ... ling-1.php , it's actually the other way around. The flow of gasoline through the jug, nozzle and funnel creates the static electricity. If they are maintained in contact with each other and the tank, no charge can accumulate*. If they are not, e.g. nozzle near but not touching the funnel, the charge can build to several thousand volts and if the nozzle then moves closer to the funnel, a spark may jump, triggering an explosion in the gas vapor/air mix surrounding the fill area.
*I assumed that any approved plastic container would be sufficiently conductive to dissipate any charge. The info in Kevin's link suggests they are not #-o . From a brief skim it doesn't seem easy to verify whether or not any regulating body's approval of a plastic fuel jug includes insuring sufficient conductivity to prevent static build up. Perhaps the safest course would be to use a metal can and clip a ground lead between it and bare metal on the vehicle. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Zmechanic wrote:The talk of a gas water heater igniting garage fumes is eye opening as well. I just moved into a house with a gas water heater in the garage. :shock: Gonna have to keep my head screwed on tight.
if the heater is elevated off of the floor no problem as gasoline fumes are heavy and move along the floor. if you spill raw gasoline in that area all bets are off.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:Thank you for sharing Ryan, it will give us all something to think about next time we pour fuel.

Good luck with your recovery,
Mick.
X2

Yves
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

R.Brown wrote:...

My present theory is that the friction from fuel going thru the filter element in the plastic funnel contributed to this. When the fuel jug was lifted off the funnel, spark. This of course goes along with the perfect storm cold and dry conditions.

Ryan
Ryan,

Had you always used the filtered plastic funnel prior to this?
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Ryan,
Very sorry to hear of your accident. Gas is a scary stuff. It does not light off like they show in the movies. The reality is it goes from nothing to a fire ball almost instantly. I don't know how you felt about this - probably scary who ever you are but for myself I have a deadly fear of burning to death. Glad you made it through though burn surgery is painful. I hope you recover fast and fully. I have had occasion to quietly thank who ever invented Halon.
David Vizard
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.