No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: What has happened to proper nomenclature

Post by Walter R. Malik »

joe 90 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm
On the subject of proper nomenclature, the "oversize " bearings thing seem to be catching on.

I guess that's what happens when kids get access to computers. Or maybe it's just people with Engrish as their third language?
Although most bearing shells are UNDERSIZE there are those which ARE oversize; especially the O.D. of some.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Quoted

b :the force or thrust exerted over a surface divided by its area.
................................................................................
It says the same thing.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I have been lucky enough to have traveled various parts of the world, and have found myself in some English speaking country's to be hard to understand ,i have no doubt my accent is not helping me ,but i try to speak clearly, concisely and avoid using slang or abbreviations ,but to no avail .Conversely, to me ,some local dialects/accents are almost Swahili and leave me wondering if we studied the same language at school.
But one thing i have noticed no matter what country/county/state i am in is that local news readers are always easily understood! ,the only place this did not apply was north Scotland , i was convinced i must have been talking through a scrambler and they were replying in enigma using a yet to be discovered encryption, but they all seemed to understand each other perfectly well!
It's a bit like the observation that if one in five people is mentally unstable ,so if four of your friends seem sane the one with the issues is yourself.
Its a good thing we write everything we post on here , even if the semantics are called into question.
Its a propeller not a prupella!

Cheers.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

hoodeng wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 am .......the only place this did not apply was north Scotland , i was convinced i must have been talking through a scrambler and they were replying in enigma using a yet to be discovered encryption, but they all seemed to understand each other perfectly well!
Cheers.
:lol:
I have an affinity (did I use that word correctly) for the Scottish accent probably because my Grandfather was Scottish, but gawd can they be hard to understand.
I also appreciate the Australian accent and get a kick out of deciphering some of the slang.
Maybe I'm fascinated with accents because I have none of my own. :mrgreen:

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
Monza Harry

Post by Monza Harry »

Ken we have an accent "Canuk"! I am surrounded by Americans on three sides here [about 75% American TV and Radio] and if I travel only 100 miles or so into the US I am identified as what I am, Canadian. Funny thing even if I travel 300 miles from home into Canada I am looked at quizzically for I am both Canadian and American sounding. Even when I go up to the "MonzaQue" [that is a party for us H-Body aficionados annually up north of Toronto and Ken and I meet there nearly every year] I can really hear the Canadian on the radio DJ's and they are speaking my language sort of :? Harry :lol: