When to Pitch?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

LFT
When to Pitch?

Post by LFT »

When is the best time to pitch a sponsorship proposal to a new prospect? Is it better to do it in the fall of the year, or has there been success at all times during the year?

Thanks!
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

You need to do your homework before any pitch. Obtaining sponsorship has a lot in common with applying for a business loan. What are you willing to give sponsor for a sponsorship? Put yourself in your sponsor's shoes. Please do not mail proposals to perspective sponsors, as this just amounts to junk mail!
Matt
Post by Matt »

Sometimes companies only accept sponsorship proposals during a certain period. Usually August - December.

But I contract and try to pitch all year round. Some companies will accept stuff all year round.

You don't know till you call them or check out their website.

Try using the compliment method. Call them and talk to someone in Marketing. Tell them "I just wanted to tell you that your product is great and has been a big help to me." Then casualy refer that you own a race car/team and really beleive in their products. "Have you ever used motorsports marketing as a way to increase product sales."

They will usually be helpful and let you know when they recieve proposals, and when their fiscal budget is ready.
money4speed

Re: When to Pitch?

Post by money4speed »

It will depend on the type of sponsor it is... A mom & pop store will entertain a proposal just about any time. If it's a fortune 500 company, it's going to depend on when they set their budgets. But, even the big boys put money in their budget for unexpected great opportunities.

So I guess every prospect is different!
Phil Veldheer Racing
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Re: When to Pitch?

Post by Phil Veldheer Racing »

I have added a sixth race car last year and by the time Oct 1st rolled around I had all the sponsorship logo space sold. Small companies you can do anytime, most major sponsors like all their ducks in a row by Oct 1st at the latest.

I was at two office supply-janitorial supply-office furniture shows in JUNE this year , one in Denver and one at South Beach Miami and picked up THREE major "advertisers" for all six race cars and all six race car trailers. I hardly have enough space for the logos, however I am going to redo all the logos on the race cars this winter.

If you plan on attending the PRI Show in Orlando in December, don't plan on any response from anyone until 2011. I am constantly working on getting new advertisers as there is a constant turnover. I have had some for over 20 YEARS!! and some will last three and they want to try something new. Once I get an "advertiser" however I usually keep them for many years.

http://racingsecrets.com/sponsorship_coach.shtml

Phil
Phil Veldheer
78 Cutlass S/Pro
87 442 S/Pro
87 442 S/Pro
69 Camaro F/CM -IHRA WORLD RECORD HOLDER
97 Firebird B/SA
99 Z-28 10.5 tire