Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Re: PRI...who's going?

Post by Zmechanic »

CamKing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.
Ow, ow, ow... Instant headache. #-o
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

CamKing wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am
j-c-c wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Its a 2 cycle right? :D
You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.

I guess if she's paying full retail she can use them for what she wants.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

statsystems wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

You laugh, but 2 years ago I had a woman stop by to talk to me about the possibility of her using camshafts to make towel racks for her husband's "man-cave". This was during one of the busiest times of the show.

I guess if she's paying full retail she can use them for what she wants.
Oh no, she wanted scrap cams.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
BLstangin

Post by BLstangin »

I guess by the sounds of some of the comments on here I shouldn't be able to go either, but I am. I guess I just know who not to talk to. I guess building 4-5 motors year and a couple race car chassis that have won track championships make me a hobbist. I guess my tax id number means nothing and my 4700 square foot building that I run a shop out of after my 45 hour a week job mean nothing because I don't do enough business?? I want to buy a small CNC mill and a lathe to add to the shop but I guess just wanting one makes me a nobody that shouldn't be there be??? :roll:
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I guess by the sounds of some of the comments on here I shouldn't be able to go either, but I am.
Suggestions from one who spent time in trade show booths:

Don't take it so personally. As mentioned, the exhibitors who make the show have invested much time and money to be there to meet with their largest present and potential customers. It's their show and their agenda. We attendees who are sometime/maybe customers just need to get with their program.
The issue, is all the tire kickers, that aren't in the industry. Nothing like having to talk to some guy for 20 minutes about his '73 Camaro, that he's thinking about hoppin' up next year, when he gets his tax return, while 3 or 4 professional engine builders wait to talk to me. . . . I'm happy to talk to anyone, as long as I have the time. 99% of the people are patient, and understanding when I ask to excused for a second to answer someone else questions. It's that 1% that.........
When stopping to talk with an exhibitor, have one or two questions worked out in advance that they are likely to have an answer for. Take the info, thank them and move on.

It's not the place to be trolling for sponsorship or free parts for your race team. That sort of buy-in would be more likely gotten at a quiet one-on-one when the supplier has agreed to listen to the pitch.

Everyone wants to buy direct, but one-engine-at-a-time orders aren't going to do it. Ask what's the minimum order or annual volume required. If they don't sell direct, ask who in your region they'd recommend you go through for best price and service.
I want to buy a small CNC mill and a lathe to add to the shop
Those are general purpose machine shop equipment, one or two examples of which might or might not be found at PRI; it's not the best venue to shop for those. There are several machining shows where you can't walk long enough to see all the choices and where there are special "show-only" deals offered, so be prepared to pull the trigger.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
BLstangin

Post by BLstangin »

I think sometimes people forget where they came from. No one starts out as a multi million dollar company. It takes work to get there. Do you think some of the big guns in the industry just put a sign on the door and were instant millionaires and knew evertything they do now when the started? Do you think they were never a small guy? Were you never a small guy that had to ask questions and gain contacts? In order to offer a good product and end result you have to get to know the people who know and use their knowledge and services to grow yourself. It takes work, and lots of it and some never get there and that may be me idk yet, does that mean that i'm a nobody that shouldn't be allowed to ask questions and gain knowledge? I won't "waste" my time doing business with them then either. When someone comes in and just wants an oil change while I'm building a $10,000 race motor should I just blow them off? Some of my best return customers started out needing a headlight replaced or an oil change, or some other minor repair that wasn't even worth charging them over and I said I'll get ya next time. Guess what they came back to and that's how my business grows. So I make time for the small guy because they can turn into big guys. We aren't all just worthless tire kickers because we don't know everything and don't have a million dollar business.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Rick Finsta wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm Well sure with the understanding that I'm going to have to talk to Mike Jones about a camshaft for the Briggs motor in my lawnmower. :mrgreen:
That brings up a good question: Would inverse radius lobes promote better retention of damp towels? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

BLstangin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:57 pm I think sometimes people forget where they came from. No one starts out as a multi million dollar company. It takes work to get there. Do you think some of the big guns in the industry just put a sign on the door and were instant millionaires and knew evertything they do now when the started? Do you think they were never a small guy? Were you never a small guy that had to ask questions and gain contacts? In order to offer a good product and end result you have to get to know the people who know and use their knowledge and services to grow yourself. It takes work, and lots of it and some never get there and that may be me idk yet, does that mean that i'm a nobody that shouldn't be allowed to ask questions and gain knowledge? I won't "waste" my time doing business with them then either. When someone comes in and just wants an oil change while I'm building a $10,000 race motor should I just blow them off? Some of my best return customers started out needing a headlight replaced or an oil change, or some other minor repair that wasn't even worth charging them over and I said I'll get ya next time. Guess what they came back to and that's how my business grows. So I make time for the small guy because they can turn into big guys. We aren't all just worthless tire kickers because we don't know everything and don't have a million dollar business.
I don't see the problem here. You are in the industry ... as long as you don't bring your wife/girlfriend and kids to make the crowd even more crowded, no one has any issue with you being there.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

MadBill wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:10 pm

That brings up a good question: Would inverse radius lobes promote better retention of damp towels? :-k
My wife said when returning from PRI, she never knew it was so hard to find a good cam, and the roller cams worked out fine :shock:
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

BLstangin wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm I guess by the sounds of some of the comments on here I shouldn't be able to go either, but I am. I guess I just know who not to talk to. I guess building 4-5 motors year and a couple race car chassis that have won track championships make me a hobbist. I guess my tax id number means nothing and my 4700 square foot building that I run a shop out of after my 45 hour a week job mean nothing because I don't do enough business?? I want to buy a small CNC mill and a lathe to add to the shop but I guess just wanting one makes me a nobody that shouldn't be there be??? :roll:
Maybe you misunderstood me.
You're the type of person we want at the show.
It doesn't matter if you build 5 engines a year or 500.
It's your profession, and your the target audience.

My problem, is with the guys that should be your customers, coming to the show, and taking time that could be spent on people like you.
This is not a show for the guy that buys the race engine, it's for the guy that sells it to him.

I'm there to help the small engine builder, so he can one day be the big engine builder. I can't do that, if I'm stuck talking to some guy that wants me to sponsor his Bomber car.

I'm sure you also don't want your customers there, trying to make deals on parts, so they can cut you out of your profit.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

My wife said when returning from PRI, she never knew it was so hard to find a good cam, and the roller cams worked out fine :shock:
my wife wondered with everyone selling the same thing how does anyone make any money.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Regarding chicks at PRI, I'll confess this:

I've caught my eyes staring at long legs under miniskirts more than once, it made me forget the SBC firing order for a while. :roll:

Just sayin'...
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

roc wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 pm Regarding chicks at PRI, I'll confess this:

I've caught my eyes staring at long legs under miniskirts more than once, it made me forget the SBC firing order for a while. :roll:

Just sayin'...
So, just because you and maybe others have voyeuristic tendencies doesn't make it OK.
It still is not needed at that trade show; that stuff belongs outside or in a clothing trade show unless that women is a model for an exhibitor.

Just sayin" ...
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

This show was conceived and came into its very existence as a common place for racing EXHIBITORS to be able to show their wares to those within the same industry so, all within that industry would be aware of what is available and where to get it.

THEY should be allowed and did make the original rules, (not the attendees), about who and from what venues were allowed to attend their show.
As happens with most good things ... these shows have become an industry unto themselves and things like attendee requirements change throughout time.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I think she was just there for the popcorn . . . . . . . . . . . Tell her to get used cams from a local Production Engine Rebuilder, clean 'em up, paint them fancy colors or chrome plate/nickel plate them and then send her down the aisle to Weld, where she can buy some wheels to make tables out of.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist