Machine shop differences

Open

Moderator: Team

Dogwater

Machine shop differences

Post by Dogwater » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 pm

I used to use a machine shop that was close to where I lived, convince Id guess. 2 yrs. ago I brought in a Chevy 350 bare block for a crack check. Wasn't in a hurry to get it back so 3 weeks later I called, they said it was ready. When I arrived I was told they found a crack an wanted to show me where the crack was. I walked into the back of there shop an must of walked past 30 to 50 bare blocks standing on end, crankshafts & cylinder heads grouped together so you could walk between everything just wide enough to get a hand truck thru. I didn't realize they were a production shop. I quit using them. FYI ask to take a walk thru your machine shop of choice an take a look. Needed a new crankshaft balanced I went another shop an found out there's shops that pay attention to details. They wanted to check my harmonica balancer, they took some weight of the rods,they matched up the pins to the pistons an said don't mix them up an drilled some holes in the crank. I felt like I got my moneys worth.

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Machine shop differences

Post by ProPower engines » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:49 pm

Funny you say that but there are times there are so many blocks that come in at certain times of the years and you would swear I was a production shop as well.
lots of times shops that are not close to a large population by 20 miles may be the only shop withing a 100 mile radius but if there is lots of work in the area in can be a cluster f########k at times.
As long as they keep customers components grouped together and they do good work and more importantly do what I tell them to do it to, as long as they can do it I would be happy.

If they don't get into much HP work then by all means question what they can do for you and how they do it and if you are satisfied at that point then it's still your call if you use them or not.

But just remember shit does happen and if it does happen to you and they drag their ass to correct the issue by all means point them out and don't go back. If they fix the issue right away I would give them a 2nd chance but beyond that I would go down the road after asking locals what or where they are going.
JMO :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors

smeg
Pro
Pro

Post by smeg » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Dogwater,
I don't understand your reasoning of production shop no good so I am going elsewhere. In my mind, if they have heaps of work to do they must be doing something right. I would be more worried of a workshop that does not have much work on their floor, tells me they may not have their shit together.....

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:10 pm

Having a real professional reputable Performance Engine Machine Shop versus using some general engine rebuilder machine shop can many times be equated to "using a dentist for brain surgery"! They are both MD's but that's where the the similarity ends! [-X JMO

modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 pm

I don't think there is any definite relationship between how large a shop is and the quality of work.

It could go either way.
Glen Urban

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:43 pm

modok wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 pm
I don't think there is any definite relationship between how large a shop is and the quality of work.

It could go either way.
Exactly ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.