Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Cub Cadet Warning!

Post by GARY C »

If you are thinking of purchasing one I highly recommend that you don't!
I purchased this one last year 5/30/17 and with only 3.5 hours on it, it will not start.
After talking with 3 others that have them they all tell me that theirs has been in the shop more than it has been on their lawn, 2 have the 52" and one has the 0 turn model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Olds455
Re: Cub Cadet Warning!

Post by Olds455 »

A year old and you think it's crap because it won't start? Would you make the same recommendation if it was a new car? If you came out to your 11 month old car and your car didn't start, you wouldn't be in here telling everyone not to buy Ford/gm/whatever. So what makes this different?

If my mower sits for a year, usually the battery is dead. No reason to stop buying a certain brand mower.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Hey Gary, you are supposed to be a car guy. Figure it out before you yell junk.
Batteries: yup, If I don't remember to bring those little ones in for the winter and trickle, spring is always hit or miss on the first day.
I have left the key on and sucked the life out of my JD a time or two. No beepers to remind you like the wife's car does.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, I wrestled with two different older Cub Cadets over the course of ten years. The problem was always in the wiring. There are so many interlock/safety/lawyer switches and they are all junk. There are at least three switches which must carry signals for the start switch to activate the starter and ignition. The PTO switch has three different functions. The only way I could keep them starting and running was to rip out all the OEM switches and run new industrial quality On/Off toggle switch for the PTO and a straight On/Start/Off switch to the ignition and starter.

BTW, Cub, John Deere, Toro, et al, all have cheapo big box models and real commercial quality machines sold through their dealers.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Remove the bowl on the carb and spray it out with carb cleaner as well as the jets. If it doesn't have a valve in the gas line then add one and close it before shut down each time and let the engine run out of gas. Very common problem (on the last several riding and push mowers over the past 20-30 years, including a John Deere). The additives in modern gas drop out of solution when the gas evaporates and do not redissolve. This clogs the jets. A battery tender addresses the other issue.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

You bought and el cheapo mower. You get what you pay for. Just fix it.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

I agree on the fact that you bought and economy unit. Dont expect much from it.

A good rider will cost you 10k+

Mine was 12k with a 60inch deck. It has 830 hours on it and hasn't ever missed a beat.
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Did you use gasoline with alcohol? Its a big no no to let it set for any length of time. I just go done with a carb from a Honda 1000 watt generator using a .017 drill to unclog jets. Runs real good now. Gas with alcohol is not good.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 am Did you use gasoline with alcohol? Its a big no no to let it set for any length of time. I just go done with a carb from a Honda 1000 watt generator using a .017 drill to unclog jets. Runs real good now. Gas with alcohol is not good.
It's ok to call it what it is. Ethanol.
Agreed mostly. Supposedly the newer engines are set up to use it.....so they say.
I have older restored garden tractors, mowers, etc. I have found that using premium gas with no ethanol works way out better in the long run.
Perhaps that holds true for even the newest equipment.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

I had a 16 year old Scag 52" rider that never missed a beat until the local station did away with straight gasoline.

Now I have a Exmark that I blend the 93 with Xylene (with respirator). The mechanic (another racer friend) stated one could save buying $30/gal lawnmower fuel VP sells by adding 8 oz xylene to 5 gals 93. It's worked well for the last year.

Prior to the Scag, I went through 3 John Deere mowers in 5 years.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

Alot of the stations around me have a 91 or 93 octane "non oxygenated" fuel for collector cars and small engines. Nice to have it available.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I fixed it, Assembly issue on their part pinched wire to fuel shut off valve, I only run VP fuel but checked carb anyway while I was there. Not starting was one issue, week starter about every third start, battery is always kept charged. I doesn't cut any better than my worn out Craftsman so will probably need new blades or sharpened, I haven't looked at that yet.

As I said in my OP, I am not the only one with issues with this brand and in a discussion on FB the other day another friend had so many issues with his in the first 3 mnths they ended up having to give him a new one.

Only time will tell how long it lasts and if it has more problems.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm FWIW, I wrestled with two different older Cub Cadets over the course of ten years. The problem was always in the wiring. There are so many interlock/safety/lawyer switches and they are all junk. There are at least three switches which must carry signals for the start switch to activate the starter and ignition. The PTO switch has three different functions. The only way I could keep them starting and running was to rip out all the OEM switches and run new industrial quality On/Off toggle switch for the PTO and a straight On/Start/Off switch to the ignition and starter.

BTW, Cub, John Deere, Toro, et al, all have cheapo big box models and real commercial quality machines sold through their dealers.
I believe JD is still JD but yes Cub and many others or now owned by MTD. It does have a heavier deck, frame and a peerless rear diff and is why I went with over the cheaper stuff.
Please Note!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Olds455 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 am A year old and you think it's crap because it won't start? Would you make the same recommendation if it was a new car? If you came out to your 11 month old car and your car didn't start, you wouldn't be in here telling everyone not to buy Ford/gm/whatever. So what makes this different?

If my mower sits for a year, usually the battery is dead. No reason to stop buying a certain brand mower.
Yes I would if I bought a new car and it failed to run the third time I went to use it but I learned years ago not to buy new cars, I will let others pay the depreciation and pay cash for used make and model I know and trust.

I would have bought a used mower as I have had 3 in the past 20 years at a total expense of $600.00 but key parts for used mower or becoming obsolete which is why I called it quits on my last one.
Please Note!
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

GARY C wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 pm
I believe JD is still JD but yes Cub and many others or now owned by MTD. It does have a heavier deck, frame and a peerless rear diff and is why I went with over the cheaper stuff.
Judging by the price in your picture...you bought cheap. Dont expect alot from it.