Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Prayers For Alfie

Post by enigma57 »

For those who think that government run healthcare has merit...... Please consider the case of Alfie Evans in the UK. Alfie is 23 months of age and very ill. The hospital there has determined to remove life support against the wishes of his parents following a series of court cases. The courts in the UK have ruled that his parents are not permitted to take him home nor to another hospital for treatment. They are not permitted to bring him a donated C-pap or Bi-pap machine to help him breathe after the hospital removed life support Monday. They are not permitted to feed him themselves. They are only permitted to watch their little boy die.

As of now, Alfie is breathing on his own (hospital claimed he couldn't) and only following public outcry, the hospital has finally fed him once since Monday and he is (barely) surviving without further care. The Italian government has granted Alfie Italian citizenship and has sent a military plane that has been waiting for days now to transfer him to a hospital in Italy, but the government and the courts in the UK have sided with the UK hospital and against his parents' wishes, won't allow him to be taken elsewhere for treatment. The German government has an air ambulance waiting nearby to transport him as well. Even so...... The government and courts and the hospital there in the UK seem determined to kill this little boy and the wishes of his parents and of others who want to help him don't mean a thing to them.

Next time anyone tells you what a wondrous thing it would be to entrust your life and your healthcare to a government run system...... Remember this little boy and put yourself or your loved ones in his place......

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... urt-ruling

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/a ... s-12416526

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/95064 ... ital-Italy

Prayers for Alfie,

Harry and Family
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Re: Prayers For Alfie

Post by Brian P »

That's sad, but a government-run health care system does not have to be this way.
Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter »

IMO, it is unethical to keep the child alive and suffering because of the parents wishes. Should the parents be able to make the call to get him transferred out of country, or should that decision be left up to a doctor?
In this case, they had the support of doctors elsewhere, so maybe the grounds were sufficient to allow the transfer. But the decision should not depend on the parents, or the internets, feelings...and all the links you posted were light on details about the child's condition and odds of survival, and heavy on feelings.

You could just as well say that a totally private health care system allows people to make exorbitant insurance claims to pay to keep a helpless child alive and suffering so their parents can take pictures of him and post them all over the internet.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

There is no moral or humanitarian reasoning with these UK reprobates that are ,literally, forcing DEATH on this innocent child. The fact that 2 european countries are willing to give the family and their stricken child means to take him off their hands and make every possible effort to save him just makes these fiends dig their heels in deeper. These kind of heathens don't want the child to survive and look like the fools that they are should Italy be able to actually perform a medical miracle. I am not saying this would happen but if it were my child, I would want to at least be given the right to try. The UK officials are no better than the North Koreans who tortured the Wormbier boy to the edge of death then dumped him back to the USA to surely die and then say they didn't kill him. Prayers to this grieving family and prayers that somehow little Alfie can be given one last chance for survival. It is possible.
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

Didn't someone a few years ago talk about "death panels" and was mocked for it? Hmmm what was her name again? :-k :-k :-k
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

engineczar wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:59 am Didn't someone a few years ago talk about "death panels" and was mocked for it? Hmmm what was her name again? :-k :-k :-k
This ^^^^^^^^
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

You may recall as well, the recent case of the father who saved his son's life at Tomball Regional Hospital just North of Houston......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... f76af3437c

There is a lot more to the story than what is printed in the article I linked to above. I heard the live radio interview of Mr. Pickering earlier this week. You can find it here on podcast...... Look at April 25 and 26, 2018 entries...... George Pickering Interview......

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-The- ... /episodes/

Mr. Pickering's lawyer phoned in and is in the interview, as well. After going over records subpoenaed from the hospital and statements made by the nurse who attempted to euthanize (nurse's own words as noted in police report) his son by giving him a lethal injection both during the time Mr. Pickering was in his son's hospital room and following the standoff with SWAT after SWAT medical team members independently confirmed that Mr. Pickering's son was in fact responsive and not 'brain dead' as the doctors at Tomball Hospital had claimed...... Mr. Pickering's lawyer found disturbing evidence that...... Well, I'll let you listen to it yourselves. I'll only say that Mr. Pickering's lawyer was so disturbed by what she found in hospital records of this and other cases that she stated during the interview that she has changed her own designation on her drivers license to no longer be an organ donor.

You really have to listen to this from beginning to end to understand how this man nearly forfeited his own life to save his son. I might add that Mr. Pickering's son had been in the hospital less than 24 hours following his stroke when this incident took place and he interceded to keep hospital staff from killing his son.

But thanks to G-d and a loving father, Mr. Pickering's son was up and walking within weeks following his stroke. And his father would do it all over again, including the lengthy periods he spent in jail following this incident and even accepting a plea bargain rather than fighting the case in court so he could get out of jail on time served after the better part of a year and see to his son's continuing recovery.

Best regards to all,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Alfie Evans has passed. He is in a better place now, both far from those who loved him and fought to save him...... And far from those who made sure he would die. I have no words.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... key-events

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... fe-support

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/04/ ... m-die.html

With great sadness,

Harry and Family
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

I have some words for the heathens who purposed to let him die. Alfie is indeed in a better place but be assured of this. That place where Alfie is will not be the place that those soulless, cold hearted individuals will be when their time is up.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

The death panel ruled against Alfie. Maybe he would have died anyways but he was not given the chance. This is the result of government run healthcare where bureaucrats make life and death decisions. They determine who lives and dies.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

fdicrasto wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:30 am I have some words for the heathens who purposed to let him die. Alfie is indeed in a better place but be assured of this. That place where Alfie is will not be the place that those soulless, cold hearted individuals will be when their time is up.
I'm glad I wasn't the one who made the decision on Alfie. I hope I never have to make a decision on whether to "pull the plug" or not.

However, the fact is, we treat sick dogs better than we treat people. A dog that's suffering, and has no chance at recovery is "put to sleep" (the term used around here) while people are left to suffer, and even given treatments to prolong the suffering. Again, I wouldn't want to be the one to have to make the decision regarding a loved one, but I wouldn't want to lay around helpless and suffer for days, weeks, months or years while some machine keeping me alive to suffer.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

1989TransAm wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:00 pm The death panel ruled against Alfie. Maybe he would have died anyways but he was not given the chance. This is the result of government run healthcare where bureaucrats make life and death decisions. They determine who lives and dies.
They live, we die!!

pdq67