Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Re: Fatal Crash At Atlanta Yesterday

Post by 1989TransAm »

That was bad. I am 74 and have decided to give up drag racing.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

Sad news. I broke a shifter cable at Huntsville once. Randy was parked near me and came walking up with one as I was digging my spare out of my tool box. I didn't know him then, he was just a good guy offering help to a stranger.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

Jon Blackshear, a bracket racer was killed at Big Country raceway in Abilene TX Saturday when his car went off the end of the track, according to stuff I've read. I didn't know him. We probably wouldn't know about as many of these accidents with social media but that doesn't make them anymore less tragic.
I used to race several times a week, all across the Eastern US. I pretty much lived in my motorhome for a few years. (I had a house, just was on the road racing all the time) When I retire I may build me some kind of footbrake car, but I'll never race like that again.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Ken0069 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 am
1989TransAm wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:11 pm That was bad. I am 74 and have decided to give up drag racing.
Yup, I made my last pass 2 years ago last month when I sold that Undercover dragster "turn key" to a guy just north of me here in Virginia. I was 70 years old then. Last pass was a 4.97 @ 142 in the eight mile with a 1.14 short time on a green track.

I don't miss it at all now, and, I'm getting ready to sell the 55 Studebaker Hot Rod I've still got because I've lost interest in that also. The expense is another reason for getting out of racing.
I still have a 1965 Buick Skylark with a LS3 based 427 in it but I will not take it to the track anymore. For one thing it only has the single seat belt and no roll bar. I ran 11.5 @ 120 in it and that is the legal limit for that set up. I now just drive it around locally.