Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Scientists Say Liquid Water Found on Mars

Post by hoodeng »

It all sounds very exciting ,and is in mans quest for knowledge ,,,but ,,,if they find any sort of organism that could be defined as living ,they can do all the research they like ,but it has to be kept on Mars .

The very idea of bringing something that could be described as having life back to this planet to me is unthinkable .

Cheers.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Are you saying that Ripley was right to kill the Alien!

pdq67
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I didn't mean it as a 'chicken little' comment ,more an element of caution, but how may times has as lid been opened on something that has turned out 'much to a scientist surprise' less than beneficial to the population at large?
I know authorities dealt competently and diligently with the 'Samaritans purse' event,,but, if it occurred here it would get me a bit worried .
There is a quote from an infamous Australian 'Chopper' that goes "Fear is gods way of stopping us from tongue kissing tiger snakes"
i believe this comment to be very accurate.

Taking something from its natural environment where it is exists in a congruent state and placing it in an alien state [which is Earth to anything from Mars] is peeking under the lid of a can to me.

Hey ,but that's just me,I'll stick to Chop's tenet.

Cheers.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

I saw this. it's pretty awesome. There is plenty of evidence that Mars had large bodies of water on the surface in the past. The problem is, it's size and lack of magnetic field didn't provide enough gravity and protection from the sun to sustain the atmosphere. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to go investigate the water finding.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

GRTfast wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:40 am I saw this. it's pretty awesome. There is plenty of evidence that Mars had large bodies of water on the surface in the past. The problem is, it's size and lack of magnetic field didn't provide enough gravity and protection from the sun to sustain the atmosphere. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to go investigate the water finding.
The old Arnold S., Sci-fi movie, "Total Recall", has already told us a lot about Mars!!

pdq67
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Ken0069 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 am Mars shocker: Liquid water lake found on the Red Planet
25 Jul 2018
Scientists have uncovered a "a stable body of liquid water" on Mars, in what some are calling a "game changer" in the search for alien life.

What is believed to be liquid water is sitting below Mars' southern polar ice cap and is described as a "well-defined, 20-kilometer-wide zone." 20 kilometers is roughly 12.5 miles.

The findings, which are published in the journal Science, were made possibly by Mars Advanced Radar for Subsurface and Ionosphere Sounding (MARSIS), an instrument that resides on the Mars Express spacecraft. MARSIS surveyed Mars' Planum Australe region between May 2012 and December 2015 and utilized radar pulses, sending them through the surface and the polar ice caps, ultimately measuring how the radio waves came back.

The pulses that came back created the aforementioned "well-defined, 20-kilometer-wide zone" and found that the radar reflected the brightness of the liquid water. The study's abstract notes that it is surrounded by "much less reflective areas," a sign that it is indeed water.

The team that wrote the study, including lead author Professor Roberto Orosei, have ruled out any other causes for the brightness. (more here)
So have they or do they believe they have?

It seems they make this same claim every few years and the head line states they have but then the article goes to say they think they have yet they never do so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"So have they or do they believe they have?

It seems they make this same claim every few years and the head line states they have but then the article goes to say they think they have yet they never do so it will be interesting to see what comes of it."

They have to keep the grants/Gov. money coming in, right!!

pdq67
Morgo

Post by Morgo »

Nothing is really proven before you actually go there and really find the water.The space organisations are really anal that the probes sent there don´t carry ANY Earth organism!They don´t want to declare thet there is life in Mars and later found that it came with the satellite from Earth.
One could think that all the time in space vacuum,radiation and deep freeze temps will kill all possible organisms but life is surprisingly strong :shock:
"when uncomptent order unwilling to do unnecsessary the probablity of failure is high"
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

I personally think its an irresponsible use of tax payers money to waste billions of dollars on. Great, there is water there. Whoopty Do. There is water on just about all the planets. It helps us how? Billions of dollars sure could be used in about a million better ways in my opinion.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I'm a bit with you Frank , the quest for answers to all questions being funded by the teat is the pinnacle of employment if you can get in on the gig.
It doesn't matter if the theory is proved right, wrong ,or better , ambiguous ,the funding tsunami still rolls in.

Mind you the space industry has provided ours with materials unheard of years ago , but the filter down to us is through people in more technically challenging areas getting access to these materials first .We the tax payers somehow always end up at the same end of the queue.

Cheers.