Adding photos

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Adding photos

Post by Dave Koehler »

I noticed what I believe to be a change in uploading photos.
I can download directly from my computer using the attachment feature to the For Sale section.
I cannot do this in the other forums and have to host the picture offsite.
The attachment feature is not available there.
Has it always been this way or has it changed when we got fired up again?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Adding photos

Post by In-Tech »

Hi Dave,
I noticed it after the forum came back. I assumed it was to relieve the server of some space in all areas except the buy/sell and tech conversations. :-?
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

It does vary by forum even in the tech area. I tried using Firefox vs Chrome and did not see a difference.

All in all the small difficulties here don't hold a candle to the massive issues with security firm consultants getting involved with websites. OMG(osh)

I hate it when it appears that change is happening just for the sake of change. Maybe people are busy looking busy.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

The only downside to outside hosting is that more often than not they disappear over time, the links go dead and we are left with some blanks in the story/thread.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

^^^^ Yes, and I think that is why we are all trying to "give" to the site so it remains as it was. Hopefully enough donations could allow a full time moderator to be paid for his/her time so bots nor inappropriate material is posted.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

In danger of sounding repetitive of previous posts↑↑↑ ,,, i would agree ' a picture speaks a thousand words' .I had a couple of gems to pin in a recent post .The moment is lost.

Cheers.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Test

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Ok, per my immediately previous post ^^^^^^, an easier solution is to post the image in (say) the Show and Tell forum and then copy the image address by right clicking on the image with your mouse.

Paste the address in your new post in whatever forum (even where attachments are not allowed) and use the following html code:

Image Hint: Respond to this message using "quote" and you will be able to see the underlying html codes/syntax.

Et voila !

Just use a title in the hosting forum that describes the purpose of the thread/post-in-the-thread so that confusion doesn't reign (just a work-around).

In this way, the image is stored on the server hosting Speed Talk so that the link/image should be good so long as the site is still up.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

exhaustgases wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:27 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 am The only downside to outside hosting is that more often than not they disappear over time, the links go dead and we are left with some blanks in the story/thread.
Yes........ And there is no reason to have to post outside, how much are multi tera byte drives now yes its modern times and no more floppys etc? It is a joke wasting space showing a cats face from a defunct link, than having the original photo. No picture is better than line after line of cat faces.
Actually there is a reason. The board owners likely do not do this on their own computers. They pay a host a yearly fee for space on their servers.
Some can be a bit pricey per space used. A popular board can use up a LOT of space.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I may have jumped too soon on my photo attachment issue.
I want to amend that with this info.
I went back sub forum by sub forum to see where the feature "attachments" was not available.
These include
Advanced Tech: Surprised by this and this is where my question originated.

General Discussion: Kind of surprised but it's not heavily traveled and Don may have found a reason not to allow it.

Politics: Not surprised and think it should stay that way. It's already a black hole.

So I was in error. I don't think now that anything changed. Just never ran into the issue before.
I would advocate adding the attachment feature to the Advanced Tech section.
Politics leave it as is.
General: leave as is. I suspect the real reason is that is it is an easy target to spam bots.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dave,
The attachment option used to be active in the Advanced Engine Tech forum; an example from three years ago is below:

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 44#p624943 Scroll down to see the attachments.

Way back when Speed Talk was started, other functions were available*. Over the years the website software was updated and various effects became noticeable. I noticed because I ran a BBS with 5 (five !) dedicated land lines coming into our home about thirty years ago and more recently (15 years ago) had to learn how to manipulate the code on my subsequent website after the original program was no longer supported.

I used the wrong terminology when calling Image html. It is from the templating engine used in the website software.

* Here is an example from 2005: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=597#p3287 Scroll down until you see the code attachment.

I know that you and I don't mind linking to pictures that we host (and pay for the server storage) but some other sites get ticked off that they are being used parasitically with no reimbursement for bandwidth used.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

only if you want a slow connection.
Pro Hosting services have big money invested in hardware and connections to a T1 line or better.