mopar 727 / gm trans question

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

crazycuda
Expert
Expert

mopar 727 / gm trans question

Post by crazycuda » Wed May 11, 2005 11:27 pm

I wanted to get some opions, I currently have a 727 behind a stroker small block. Ive balooned a fiew converters (tci) and before i spend some $ on another rebuild and converter what do you guys think of the 904 trans in relation to strength and power loss. I know the 727 is concidered a hp sponge unless i go spend a bunch of $ changing over to needle bearing and roller.

I also have a mid plate and wheel to convert to a gm trans. I have played with the glide idea but the car will see some street duity. A friend of mine suggested I build a th350 or 400 for the street and swap to a glide when i goto the track

la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 » Sun May 22, 2005 7:37 pm

If you are ballooning convertors, you're obviously not running the right convertor for the job. I am not going to bad mouth any particular brand of convertor, as I have only had experience with locally sourced (Australian) convertors, and ATI units. Speak to your convertor manufacturer regarding the problem.

In regards to the running of a 904, they will handle quite abit of power, but it all depends on what you want to spend on them, like any trans really. Any decent trans shop should be able to help you out, I generally deal with John Cope at www.coperacingtrans.com or Rick Alison at www.aandatrans.com
Jim's Racing Transmissions and Pro Trans are another couple of good sourses.
727 use more horse power because of the higher rotating mass, not because there is a massive increase in frictional area for the bushes and thrust washers etc.
Use a Low band apply Manual valve body like a Griner, A&A, TranzAct to name a few.

Powerglides are good for lighter bracket cars IMO, and you would see no benefit in running a TH350. a TH400 is probably one of the stronger 3 speed units available, when fully tricked up, but I don't see the addition cost helping the situation.

Realistically, every convertor of the same diameter, is made from the same cores, or similar cores, so changing transmissions types shouldn't stop the ballooning, the problem lies in the convertor itself.
IHTH's
AL...