Tow truck trans leaks when hot

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Maliburacr

Tow truck trans leaks when hot

Post by Maliburacr » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:56 am

Lately we have noticed that the truck we tow with ( 97 F250 ) will show drips after towing a 26ft encloced trainer. Has around 50,000 miles on it.
It only does this when towing, not normal everyday driving. It has the trailer towing package that encludes a trans cooler. Doesn't slip or show any other signs of trouble. We've made sure the cooler is clean.
Any ideas ?

Thanks
Bud

DaveStad

Post by DaveStad » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:49 pm

Most likely it's just your front seal. My 2001 F250 PSD with the 4sp Auto started leaking when towing a 10k lb trailer back from Florida this summer. After the trip (when not towing) it never leaked. Well it has now started to leak a little all the time. I suspect the seal may have flipped and now is really worn out. Not looking forward to dropping a 400 lb tranny so I'll be paying someone to do it. I know a guy in a shop near mine who tows a 52' 5th wheel with his 99 F350 Dually and is using a Factory Tech tranny and bypassed the rad cooler and added a huge rectangular Setrab cooler in line with the stock unit and doesn't see temps higher than 160F (at least that's what he tells me). He also puts out about 1000 lb-ft to the wheels.

Oh, the tranny doesn't have to burp to be running to hot.

hbps1978

Post by hbps1978 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:28 pm

Going to synthetic transmission fluid would also help your issue
Performance is my passion