Running an open rearend

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

rookiedriver

Running an open rearend

Post by rookiedriver » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:15 pm

The class rules that I run in require us to run an open rear end. I was talking with another driver that ran a different track with similar rules and he said some of the other cars were running a smaller tire on the right rear than on the left rear. He was told that this would help the car roll through the corners better. We run on asphalt, and I know the basics on set up, but this was over me. Can anyone help?

MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Reverse Stagger

Post by MikeLeone » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:37 pm

This is a setup that some people have tried, some can even make it almost work. Mosty what reverse stagger does is wedge the car up a bit more. Wedging the car does give you better bite with a single spinner rear. It definately won't help the car roll through the corner any better though.

I would stick to conventional wisdom on this one. Run normal stagger (RR bigger than LR) maybe try only an inch ot two. The trick to getting good traction off the corner with a single spinner is:

Make sure the rear ride height is high enough (like 8"LR- 9"RR)
Make sure all the rear control arm bushings are greased and free
Make sure the rear tires (esp the LR) are good and new.

These things can help too, but may make the car pushy in the middle of the turn if you go too far:

Increase the cross weight (wedge)
Try a bigger front sway bar, or at least run a small gap or pre-load the swaybar.
Run heavier front springs
Run front shocks with less rebound (esp RF)

Good Luck

Mike Leone

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:47 pm

Thankyou, I looked in all of my chassis books and couldnt find anything, so I was hesitant to even try it. Still figuring out the metric frame, but Im a lot closer now and didnt want to waste the limited track time that I have. Again thank you!

Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith » Sun May 02, 2004 9:39 am

I've heard of guys runnig the bomber classes that have to run an open differential shim the spider gears real tight so they have to pull together maybe someone else can help or explain it a little better.

MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Get the book!

Post by MikeLeone » Sun May 02, 2004 9:54 am

You definately should check out my book "Street Stock Setup Manual". I cover shiming and a few other sneeky tricks to get an open rear to lock up. Also lots of legal ways to get better bite off the turn.

The book has tips to help you run faster and spend less money doing it.

You can get more info at: http://www.racingsecrets.com/street_stock_racing.shtml