Anyone rebuilt a 4L60E transmission?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

ingram

Anyone rebuilt a 4L60E transmission?

Post by ingram » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:06 pm

I have a 1993 C1500 truck with a transmission in need of a rebuild. I am thinking about doing it myself at home. I want to do it because of the learning experience, but I don’t want to get into the project and realize it was a bad idea. I’m not that concerned with the rebuilding process; that to me will be the fun part. I am more worried about just removing and reinstalling the transmission. I will purchase a transmission jack, but the setup would be as you would expect. The truck would be resting on ramps in the front and jack stands in the rear. I would like to hear from anyone that has actually done this, with their thoughts and comments. Thank you.
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs
www.camprofiledesigns.com

Hectori
Pro
Pro

Re: Anyone rebuilt a 4L60E transmission?

Post by Hectori » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:46 pm

I am not so fond of ramps. But just make sure your truck stays up. Transmission removal is pretty straight forward thing. Just remove cooler lines, electric conectors and everything that keeps transmission in place. I use Lashing strap to support engine. I attach hooks of the strap to frame or control arm mounts and strap goes under oil pan. You can even tilt engine with it, but be careful when doing that.

flush cooler and lines with kooler kleen or similar product.

Is there something particular that you are not sure about or just generally?

ingram

Post by ingram » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Hectori wrote:I am not so fond of ramps. But just make sure your truck stays up. Transmission removal is pretty straight forward thing. Just remove cooler lines, electric conectors and everything that keeps transmission in place. I use Lashing strap to support engine. I attach hooks of the strap to frame or control arm mounts and strap goes under oil pan. You can even tilt engine with it, but be careful when doing that.

flush cooler and lines with kooler kleen or similar product.

Is there something particular that you are not sure about or just generally?
Thanks Hectori. Nothing in particular, just the general process. Thinking something through, is not the same as having done it. I'm sure there is something I did not think of. Would you rather have jack stands on all four corners?
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs

dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Old junkyard hand here. I do not like ramps. I've used jack stands many times, but they scare me a bit too.

For a transmission R&R, stacks of rims or rims/tires [no air] work well. However, they must be different diameter. 15s and 14 nest together, etc. 15/14/15 etc.

On the trans: Anyone know what is needed for special tools for the 4L60E

Dave

ingram

Post by ingram » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:45 am

What's the problem with using ramps? :?
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs

Hectori
Pro
Pro

Post by Hectori » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 pm

ingram wrote:What's the problem with using ramps? :?
I don`t trust that one end of the car is in slope, when i work underneath. Many use them with no problem, but it just makes me uneasy to work there. It`s more preference thing. and i like that car is supported from the frame, so it is more steady compared to lifting from tires. I like to use either 2-pillar lift or 4 jack stands.

If you do use ramps, just make sure that vehicle is secured.

If any questions comes to mind, don`t hesitate to ask.
dave brode wrote: On the trans: Anyone know what is needed for special tools for the 4L60E

Dave
Only thing that i would say is kind of needed, is Lip wizard. It helps a lot when installing seals. Of course thin wire can be used instead, or feeler gauge. But lip wizard is the best IMO. Otherwise you don`t really need anything. Others can be improviced from basic tooling that every garage have. Little tip for alignin pump halves. When transmissions case is empty, you can put pump upsidedown to the case and it will center the pump halves.

ingram

Post by ingram » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 am

The ramps I will be using are level at the top and are concave where the tires rest. There shouldn’t be any stability problems.

Is it necessary to install a “shift kit” or do any modifications to the transmission? I am pleased with how the transmission performed. It is a stock truck and I don’t pull any heavy loads. It now has 264,000 miles on it and slips in overdrive.
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs

Hectori
Pro
Pro

Post by Hectori » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:41 am

ingram wrote: Is it necessary to install a “shift kit” or do any modifications to the transmission? I am pleased with how the transmission performed. It is a stock truck and I don’t pull any heavy loads. It now has 264,000 miles on it and slips in overdrive.
Well, it is not necessary to but one in there, but i would strongly advise putting Shift kit in there. You don`t have to make it any stiffer, but this type of shift kit is "Corrects/Prevents/Reduces" type of deal, that corrects "faults" made in the factory. I put one of these in every transmission that i do. I don`t make them any "tighter"(unless customer ask me), so they feel like stock unit. It costs about 40$.

Other manufacturers have similar kits, but i use only Transgo, as i have never had problems with them.

numboltz

Post by numboltz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:06 am

What's the problem with using ramps? :?

1] they're in the way, big time compared to jackstands
2] usually they don't get the vehicle up high enough, especially if you have
a cheapychinese tranny jack. A good Hein Werner will gain a few inches
of drop.

The higher you can get the vehicle the better. Bellhousings take a lot of room.
Common, short floor jacks usually won't get it up high enough.

Consider putting a clamp or something to keep the converter from falling out
and landing on the floor [or your face] heavy, dirty oil everywhere.

Remember the first time the car falls off the jackstands will be the last [for you.]

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm

When I worked under my 67SS/RS, I always tried to keep either the front pair or rear pair of tires on the ground. And then stuffed my L-60/14's with 2x4 cribbing under her.

You sure don't want the SOB coming down on you because you can get killed!!

pdq67

el camino man

Post by el camino man » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 am

use 4 good quality jack stands, it will make the job lots easier compared to having to work around the ramps, that's just a pain in the butt. the ramps will interfere with getting to belhousing bolts, draining fluids, dragging the trnas out from under the vehicle and such.
Good luck. I am going to be using my hoist to remove a 4l60e from our s10 pickup next week... I feel your pain, I think the pump has failed so I get to remove the trans.

TexasT

Post by TexasT » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 am

If you think the ramps might be in the way, use a jack and insert the ramps backwards, or put them under the rear wheels.
I highly reccomend a trans jack of some kind. I have one from northern tool and it is sweet. No more floor jack and a 2x6 or piece of plywood trying to balance the trans and converter and stab it onto the engine. Just make stabbing way easier and allows you to tilt the trans side to side and front to back for the perfect line up.
http://m.northerntool.com/mt/www.northe ... _200305489
Worth every penny.
If you can, you should find a local shop to run your bare case through their cleaner. If not a lot of brake cleeaner and elbow grease can get your case clean, just easier if you can find one.
Lip wizard can be made from a plastic two liter bottle and some scissors or a knife.
You will need a way to compress several places to get the snap rings off and back on again. No big deal but it must be done.
Here is a link to my build. Not a 4L60e but takes the same kind of skillz.
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0.
Do some searching. There are threads out there where people have out together the 4L60e.
Let us know how you do.
Rich

ingram

Post by ingram » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:32 am

TexasT wrote:If you think the ramps might be in the way, use a jack and insert the ramps backwards, or put them under the rear wheels.
I highly reccomend a trans jack of some kind. I have one from northern tool and it is sweet.
http://m.northerntool.com/mt/www.northe ... _200305489
If you can, you should find a local shop to run your bare case through their cleaner. If not a lot of brake cleeaner and elbow grease can get your case clean, just easier if you can find one.
Lip wizard can be made from a plastic two liter bottle and some scissors or a knife.
You will need a way to compress several places to get the snap rings off and back on again.
Here is a link to my build.
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0.
Thanks Rich. Great presentation on your rebuild. It gave me some new ideas.
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs

TexasT

Post by TexasT » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Glad it is helpful. I'm hoping you post up some pix of your overhaul. I have a 94 burb with the 4L60e that won't shift out of first that needs attention. One of these days ill get to it.
Rich

ingram

Post by ingram » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I removed the transmission from the truck. Yes, it was an ordeal, but no problems. It wasn't any worse than I thought it would be. I have a few pictures to share but the pictures are too large and won't upload. Anyone know how to reduce the picture size so it will upload? I was able to remove the transmission by raising the front of the truck with the ramps only. One picture shows the transmission inverted with the pan level. I drilled a couple of holes in a block of wood and bolted it to the bell housing and raised the tail end up with the sissor jack. I have a stool that puts me at the right height for working on the valve body area. I did not buy a transmission jack, instead I used the sissor jack and placed it on a dolly. It worked very well. Back to the disassembly. Please help me with the picture uploading, thanks. :?
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs