th350 rebuild questions

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Hectori
Pro
Pro

Re: th350 rebuild questions

Post by Hectori » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:08 pm

wyrmrider wrote:who does the R&D on B&M (or other ) kits?
I can vouch that Transgo does their own
note that when their patents on the Torqueflyte mods ran out other shortly came out with similar valves
who builds B&M converters?
They do use one of the best rebuilders to private label their stuff.
IDK Hughes my impression is that you can't go wrong- quality at a price
you never get more than what you pay for--and vice versa
I tend to think that majority of the kits available, are just rip offs from the Transgo kits. There were few things, that i did not like in B&M kit, but as i have not installed it yet, i cant say anything about it yet. After weekend i will be wiser.

I do like the B&M holeshot converter that i have in my own car. I have no idea who made it.

Most of the rebuild kits for stock applications, are from the same few manufacturers, just repacked.

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:29 pm

"I tend to think that majority of the kits available, are just rip offs from the Transgo kits"
I couldn't say that
But I wish I had
Back is C4 days Art Carr was infamous for breaking parts while claiming that Transgo's shifts were "soft" and his were "hard"
Carr built his valvebody starting with a copy of a genuine Ford Shelby Mustang VB
I bought one for an XKE Jag conversion -(keeping 3.8-4.2 twin cam)
(actually quite easy Olds flexplate reached out to the Starter location, then 6 cyl ford converter (for core) and bellhousing to fit in Narrow Jag)
Ive heard similar about B&M and others

Hectori
Pro
Pro

Post by Hectori » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:07 pm

wyrmrider wrote:"I tend to think that majority of the kits available, are just rip offs from the Transgo kits"
I couldn't say that
But I wish I had
Back is C4 days Art Carr was infamous for breaking parts while claiming that Transgo's shifts were "soft" and his were "hard"
Carr built his valvebody starting with a copy of a genuine Ford Shelby Mustang VB
I bought one for an XKE Jag conversion -(keeping 3.8-4.2 twin cam)
(actually quite easy Olds flexplate reached out to the Starter location, then 6 cyl ford converter (for core) and bellhousing to fit in Narrow Jag)
Ive heard similar about B&M and others
Does Art Carr sell his own kit? I did not know that. I would be interested to try one of his TH200 or TH700 kit.

There are VB manufacturers who does great deal of R&D on their own valvebodies, and produce great VBs. But they usually sell whole WB, not kit only.

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:45 pm

No, most kits are NOT a rip off of the TransGo stuff.

Honestly, for a TH 350, the Superior kit is good for medium performance, the Fairbanks is better for the high performance, race, or heavy duty.

I would not give you a thin dime for a TransGo kit for an over drive, either. Some of the worst working over drives I've ever seen had a TransGo kit. Superior beats them hands down on over drives, especially GM over drives.

I wish I had a nickel for every rare BRF 200 4R valve body that was ruined by drilling and butchering it for that abomination TransGo makes for them. I've fixed dozens of them by taking that kit out, if they didn't drill the valve body, if they did drill the valvebody, it was ruined, and had to be replaced.

mdabbott2009

Post by mdabbott2009 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am

Makes me second think the transgo kit I put in my 4l80e for my 90s ls conversion truck that probably never get finished.

mdabbott2009

Post by mdabbott2009 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 am

Ordered rebuild kit with red alto clutches and the black plates washer kit plus everything else other then the roller clutches.

One of our local tranny guys is going to help me with the bushings again.

Anything else I should get?

numboltz

Post by numboltz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 am

350 is a bushing eater. Be sure to check that tiny bushing in the front of the mainshaft, and it's corresponding tit on the back of the input shaft. Don't know how many worn out ones I have
seen on "rebuilt" 350s. Later model pump back halves have better support for the drums, but the forward and direct clutch assemblies still kinda hang there in space, thus the bushing wear
issues. There's at least 3 different pump rotor thicknesses, IIRC, always actually measure
clearances. Stator support splines need checking, too. GM went lower nickel content for a while
and the splines will just shear off. Another wear area to check is the governor bore. Still have the reamer and bushing driver for that.

In 4x4 trucks, make sure all the transfer case supports are installed, including the heavier bellhousing bottom. Because the case is so long they crack easy in a 4x4. Usually around
the reverse piston area. 400s have the same issue but not as bad. A 203 or 205 hanging off the back really put a lot of leverage on the case.

mike hohnstein

Post by mike hohnstein » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:36 am

Problem with kits that feature a slotted transfer plate for double feeding the direct clutch is they leak, badly is some cases. Best bet for most applications it to stay away from that mod. However we have had good success duplicating the passage on the support plate it's self, using a ball mill on the Bridgeport. Hard to seal that long passage sandwiching the sheet metal plate, doesn't have any support.

mdabbott2009

Post by mdabbott2009 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm

The bushings were shot in the pump direct.so bad that when I tried to air check it the seal before I tore it all the way apart, it the sealing rings were just blowing all the air by the piston wouldn't even move so there was my problem.

When I was looking at the pump seeing if it would air check with new sealing ring I saw the ring Landa were bad shape. Tired to put a new ring on it and the rings won't fit the slots ca use how bad the bushings beat the pump.

Now is there a place I can get rebuilt pump?

Question on the forward drum. Post to have 5 clutches and 4 steels with wave plate. The wave plate is long gone now but when I mocked it up to check cleance I got 140 thousands so I stacked 2 more steels in the bottom of the pack. I had right around 15 or so. I then thought maybe just use 1 extra steel and a extra clutch but I had around 5 thousand then could barely still spin the clutches in it.

With thus the case should I just use the extra 2 plates?

I have seen where some one scraped one side of two clutches to get the right clearance would this work?

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:40 am

You need around 0.040" to 0.060" clearance in your clutch packs. Do not scrape the clutches. You can buy thinner steels in some cases, you can also change the "pressure plate" that goes against the snap ring, they are selective.

You can get a pump from Whatever It Takes transmission parts, or ATI Performance Products.

gowest

Post by gowest » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:42 pm

mdabbott2009,

Hunt down a wave plate for the forward drum. Forward engagement is much easier on the entire drive train with it.

Marty

ventura74
Pro
Pro

Post by ventura74 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

mdabbott2009 wrote:The tranny before tear down had a transgo kit in it. The bushings were replaced last rebuild but there trashed the sun gear bushings were the worst.
You need to double up the sun gear bushings making sure the oil grooves line up and then redrill oil hole also direct drum bushing needs wider bushing there are a ton of upgrades I do to a th350 when I build them