Putting heat in sintered iron disc before 1/4 mile pass?

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

redliner
Expert
Expert

Putting heat in sintered iron disc before 1/4 mile pass?

Post by redliner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Stupid question time...I am running about 800lbs of base pressure in my Ram/Tim Hyatte sintered iron clutch setup. I make a couple laps around the pits to warm up rear lube but apparantly that is not enough as the clutch slipped a bit on the first pass. I hate to drive 50 miles around the pits...jckstands? I dont think running on stands would warm up clutch would it? Mebbe I'm wrong....I hope so! ANYONE?

redliner
Expert
Expert

Re: Putting heat in sintered iron disc before 1/4 mile pass?

Post by redliner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:58 pm

redliner wrote:Stupid question time...I am running about 800lbs of base pressure in my Ram/Tim Hyatte sintered iron clutch setup. I make a couple laps around the pits to warm up rear lube but apparantly that is not enough as the clutch slipped a bit on the first pass. I hate to drive 50 miles around the pits...jckstands? I dont think running on stands would warm up clutch would it? Mebbe I'm wrong....I hope so! ANYONE?
oh...1/4 mile drag car

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 pm

On the way to tech or staging lanes, while driving, stick it in third gear and zing it slightly.
Of course be mindful of safe driving practices while in the pits...
NHRA SS/H
1970 AMX
390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches
Red Line Racing Cams

redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Jeff Lee wrote:On the way to tech or staging lanes, while driving, stick it in third gear and zing it slightly.
yer kiddn....

Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:45 pm

My sintered iron disc setup is very sensitive to temperature. I do have a very light car, which may make is more sensitive than a heavy car.

If I have the RPM a little high and the brakes on a little hard while I'm bumping the car into the second stage light, the clutch will heat up more and the car will hit the tire harder.
I try to bump it In the same on every run, but sometimes I'm a little off of my game and heat/overheat the clutch. The car definitely reacts differently.

I have a clutch adjustment window/cover plate that I can remove between rounds and place a fan there to cool the clutch.

The more consistent the clutch temperature is, the more consistent the launch at ET will be.
Project Greenlight

1972ho
Pro
Pro

Post by 1972ho » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 am

On a TNT run you don't have to really make a pass or respond to the tree after you stage just try to zing it like Jeff said a couple of times and then make a pass.

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:14 am

redliner wrote:
Jeff Lee wrote:On the way to tech or staging lanes, while driving, stick it in third gear and zing it slightly.
yer kiddn....
No I'm not...

Years ago that was in the instruction manual for Advanced Clutches. But as time went on and Advanced Clutches was able to develop improved formulas for the disk compositions and heat shields compositions, it is no longer necessary with Advanced Clutches. Other brands may not be up to tune on this so as I said, zing it in third gear. You don't need to be going fast to do this.
NHRA SS/H
1970 AMX
390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches
Red Line Racing Cams

redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Ok I will try it. Thanks Guys!

redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Greenlight wrote:My sintered iron disc setup is very sensitive to temperature. I do have a very light car, which may make is more sensitive than a heavy car.

If I have the RPM a little high and the brakes on a little hard while I'm bumping the car into the second stage light, the clutch will heat up more and the car will hit the tire harder.
I try to bump it In the same on every run, but sometimes I'm a little off of my game and heat/overheat the clutch. The car definitely reacts differently.

I have a clutch adjustment window/cover plate that I can remove between rounds and place a fan there to cool the clutch.

The more consistent the clutch temperature is, the more consistent the launch at ET will be.
Whats yer combo and what bell are ya running,if I may ask?

BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 pm

I used a McLeod clutch and was down to 700/800 or so. One thing I did was install a brake pressure gauge in the dash and staged at 200/300 psi using front linelock to hold the pressure as I staged all the time. I also rigged up an outer valve spring welded to a round headed tee bolt mounted into the floorboard of my 65 Falcon for adjustment. For launching I would push the clutch pedal to just touching it, everything was much better after that. To engage the trans you just had to compress the spring which is enough to release the pp to engage the dog ring first gear. I used to run a Ford toploader and then a DNE/Richmond 5 speed dog ringed all 5 gears.
Dale C.

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:02 am

200# to 300# is to much to bump the car from the pre-stage to the stage light. Yes it can be done but it can be very hard on the disk. Less is better and I suggest no more than 150#'s.
Your idea on the valve spring is innovative and I like it. However, the critical issue is air-gap and you must be sure what it is on each and every pass. I suspect you are not checking this? If your not familiar, air gap is the distance between the clutch disk and the pressure plate. It is measured with a feeler gauge either through an inspection cover (ideal) , through the clutch fork opening (very difficult) or through an access hole at the 6:00 position. .045" to .065" on a race setup is preferred; too little and car will creep and be difficult to place in gear, too wide and it will strike the clutch and remainder of drivetrain / slicks to hard.
NHRA SS/H
1970 AMX
390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches
Red Line Racing Cams