Glide or not to Glide

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

sstpres

Glide or not to Glide

Post by sstpres » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 pm

last winter we built a new toy. 89 Foxbody with 6.2l budget LS motor and nitrous. Built on a budget with a leftover converter and a rebuilt Coan TH350. 3.90 rear gears. After working out the bugs its running 5.70's @118.5 on the bottle. 60' times 1.24-1.24sec on 275 drag radials.

Got an excellent deal on a Glide with a Dedenbear case. Tore it down and it's like new. I am considering installing the glide and replacing the TH350. I need input. Is this a good idea. Or should I leave well enough alone.

mike hohnstein

Re: Glide or not to Glide

Post by mike hohnstein » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes, it's a good plan to replace the T-350.

woody b
Expert
Expert

Post by woody b » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm

It depends on the converter. If the converter is good with the 'glide it will be faster. There was a thread a while back where some people were saying how much faster 3 speeds were, but they were talking about mega dollar 3 speeds with lightweight parts. I've seen a BUNCH of people take out "normal" 3 speeds and go faster with 'glides.

In the early 80's I had a 2900 pound car, (actually a 1947 Ford Truck) A-arm front, Dana rear, 4 link, 5.38 gear, drag race only, 14" x32" tires. Flat top 350 chevy, 461X heads, flat tappet cam, alky 750. Best run 1/8 mile 7.08. Last race with TH350 ran 7.10. Installed 1.76 'glide, same converter, Turbo Action, 8" built for car. 1st run with 'glide, 7.00. Ran several 6.99's that night.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 pm

If you plan on changing rear gears you might get it close to the 3 speed, otherwise the 3 speed will be faster and work better in your application. The TH350 is not a heavy trans, so you will not be losing much weight by going with a glide.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:57 pm

There's 4 times more internal friction loss in a Turbo than in a Glide! If that friction loss is applied to the rear tires instead then the car should be quicker and faster.

I've converted a half dozen local bracket racers to Glides over the years and all but one was both quicker and faster than before. The one other one didn't change enough to talk about.

But one of the main things about the glide is they will "normally" make a bracket car more consistent because the higher low gear ratio will settle the car down a bit at the hit.

Of course your mileage may vary and you prayers will be answered in the order they were received! :wink:
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:25 pm

May I insert a biased and non technical opinion on this subject? :lol:
WD For Lucas Oil, Ferrea Valve, Callies, Racetec Pistons, VP Racing Fuel, and HVH Cylinder Heads.

Nikolas Ojala
Pro
Pro

Post by Nikolas Ojala » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:42 pm

CREngines wrote:May I insert a biased and non technical opinion on this subject? :lol:
Wut do you mean, Sir?

geraldtson

Post by geraldtson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:17 pm

No doubt about it go with the PowerGlide in your application will be probably be at least a tenth faster! Turbo 350 is a great transmission for heavier cars and usually stronger but todays Poweglides with good aftermarket internals will take anything you can throw at it and make your ET's faster!!

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:00 am

One thing to think about with a glide is that it will be very converter sensitive. You'll need to make sure you get the proper converter for your setup otherwise you'll likely not see the gain you're hoping for. If your converter was optimized for what you had already, you'll need to send it out to get redone. It will work with a glide, and should perform ok, but a converter set up for a glide and one set up for a three speed are very different animals...
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:03 pm

Nikolas Ojala wrote:
CREngines wrote:May I insert a biased and non technical opinion on this subject? :lol:
Wut do you mean, Sir?

Glides are for pansies. Real men have more then two gears. 8) (i warned you it was a biased opinion)
WD For Lucas Oil, Ferrea Valve, Callies, Racetec Pistons, VP Racing Fuel, and HVH Cylinder Heads.

Nikolas Ojala
Pro
Pro

Post by Nikolas Ojala » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm

I have been searching for public domain photographs and drawings of PowerGlide transmissions. Anyone?

Public domain is essential here.

calibrator

Post by calibrator » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Ken0069 wrote:There's 4 times more internal friction loss in a Turbo than in a Glide! If that friction loss is applied to the rear tires instead then the car should be quicker and faster.

I've converted a half dozen local bracket racers to Glides over the years and all but one was both quicker and faster than before. The one other one didn't change enough to talk about.

But one of the main things about the glide is they will "normally" make a bracket car more consistent because the higher low gear ratio will settle the car down a bit at the hit.

Of course your mileage may vary and you prayers will be answered in the order they were received! :wink:
^+1