Synthetic type f

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

pjc360

Synthetic type f

Post by pjc360 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Could I use a synthetic type f in a fresh built non lock up chrysler A-518.
Reason I'm asking is because I was told regular type f wouldn't be a good choice because it lacks the lubricating properties to lube the constantly running planetery gears.
So I'm wondering if a synthetic type f could, fluids I'm looking at are amsoil super shift, redline racing atf and royal purple racing atf.
The builder put dexron3 in it and that's what it's had since being re-built, the unit has 5000 miles on it right now and warranty just expired, I had been running dexron3 to honor the warranty in case somethng happened. So far it's been a great transmission.
Im just wanting to run a synthetic fluid in it, and I would prefer a type f based fluid for firmer shifts.

FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Re: Synthetic type f

Post by FastBuick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:32 pm

You will be fine using synthetic transmission fluid. If it were me, out of the 3 you were thinking of I would use the Amsoil Super Shift. I use that fluid and it works very well. The transmission always looks great inside and needs nothing when checked. If you would like to get it, I know of a good dealer who can get it for you at a good price. Just message me for his info.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:43 pm

I think type F's "less slippery" characteristics are only apparent at low surface speeds, and the transition from slipping to not-slipping. I believe it is in the fluid itself.

Gears operate with rolling action at the middle of their motion (on the pitch line) and slight sliding above and below.
The planetaries in Ford transmissions survive OK as far as I know.

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:24 am

Old thread but still on the first page
ATF+4 is a full synthetic premium fluid
It has a friction modifier that only really prevents chatter of the converter clutch
converter clutch chatter eventually destroys the converter, which plugs the cooler and bad things happen
NEVER run anything else in a 518 or Later MOPAR trans
as for being too slick
that is compensated for in the valve body or on later trans the computer
Type F will lead to shorter friction life unless you have modified your apply rates
the harder shifts you perceive are not the way you really want them
therefore NO type F and no GM Spec fluid
put in a Transgo big reprogramming kit
developed in 1992 on a local Dodge Dakota and still going strong over 200,000 miles later, trailer towing