Ford 9inch puking gear lube out the vent

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Ford 9inch puking gear lube out the vent

Post by Bob Hollinshead » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:29 am

We have a ford 9 inch in my Son's 70 Nova, it started out as a 57 ford rearend and we narrowed it slightly and installed torino style bearing ends and Currie 31 spline axles. It is braced and it is straight. We've run a spool and also a track-lock which is currently installed. The vent tube is near where the tube attaches to the center and it spews gearlube regularly. We've tried attaching a nipple and a hose and a valve cover breather to the end of the hose a good distance trying to eliminate the leak but no luck. The back half of the car's underside is coated with gear lube. I've never had a problem like this. Suggestions?
Pro question poster.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Re: Ford 9inch puking gear lube out the vent

Post by mbrooks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:39 am

I think it is the nature of the trac loc for some reason. I have two 8.8 irs rear ends, one with a torsen and the other trac loc, the trac loc likes to puke fluid. I put a breather can as high as I could and ran a tube to it. No pukey but it might be full of fluid. Might do a search, think I ran across this somewhere else.

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:05 am

You might be right, I can't remember it leaking when we had the spool in the car
Pro question poster.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:21 am

Not to give the wrong impression, the trac loc is used for fmc, just when I switched differentials that it started. I have another 8.8 with trac loc, they put a plate inside to cover the hole and I can take a pic if you are interested. On the one I am now using, the hole is on the upper passenger side, I extended the outlet down into the pumpkin so the climbing lube wouldn't have such a tendency to come out.

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 am

Good info, the vent on this one is on the passenger side at about the 2 O'clock position when veiwed from the rear. We are going to plug that hole and put one in the axle tube closer to the U-bolt area and see how that works. For something that is just supposed to act as a vent I have no idea how so much fluid can flow out. We even tried using some adapters and a heater core hose to a valve cover breather thinking the diameter would help-no luck.
Pro question poster.

Supershafts
Pro
Pro

Post by Supershafts » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Put the vent at the center, the tubes may have a a bad drain back channel and the axles are packing the oil in.

The axles carry oil to the bearing and then it runs down and back into the center, if the drain back is tiny or in the wrong position it'll pack in the tube.
We Race, We Vote!! Limotorsports.org
Supershafts.com