4x4 truck clutch chatter

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

4x4 truck clutch chatter

Post by Truckedup » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:02 pm

I picked up a decent 80's Chevy 1/2 4x4, Muncie 465 truck transmission . Lots of new parts and brutal clutch chatter, the price reflected the problem . I removed the tranny and transfer case and found plenty of bad stuff. Worn clutch linkage , loose transmission mount and the pilot bushing worn badly. It had a new clutch set up and surfaced flywheel so they must have given up fixing the problem because they didn't fix the small stuff.
And this about the bell housing alignment.........I installed the flywheel and housing to check for run out. The housing didn't feel right up against the block...The alignment dowels were pushed in so that just a bit of the tapered lead was beyond the block...I punched the dowels back into position and then did a run out check with a dial indicator on the wheel and registering on the bell housing bearing retainer hole. It's off .020 to the left..but stays near zero for the other 3/4 's of a the circle....
Hmm, I think it's ok considering I have no jig to bolt to the crank flange to check absolute center...
The old pilot bushing is very worn and shows peened over material that would be consistent with the the housing being way off center because of non functioning alignment dowels...
Good enough for a truck?
Naked frame LSR bikes, dressed in animal hides clinging to machines propelled by fire...

mike hohnstein

Re: 4x4 truck clutch chatter

Post by mike hohnstein » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:20 pm

You need some off set dowels, should be .005 max all around. Verify the retainer bore is round. Block and trans surface of bell need to be parallel.

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Re: 4x4 truck clutch chatter

Post by wyrmrider » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 pm

I have a rebuilt chevy pu 4 speed non synchro granny gear type with a new cover and a couple of bellhousings if you need them