Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Ford 8.8 with 9" housing ends

Post by Caprimaniac » Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Hello.

Anyone done this Conversion here?

Broke my 7,5" (German) Ford for the 2. time this weekend, and the only right thing to do is Upgrade.... Have Explorer 8.8" (31 spline) w/ factory LSD lying around.

Do not want to do c-Clip eliminator kit, since this might race on a roadrace corse as well. (Not decided 100% yet...) The 9" housing ends seem to be a good option. What I'd like to know is what diameter on the Explorer axle these housings will slide onto? The smaller Outer or the larger inner diameter? (The tubing is tapering towards Outer ends.)

Also; With the 9" housing comes the 9" bearings With press rings. What axles will these fit onto? Will aftermarket 8.8"axle shafts work or do I need to order 9" shafts in order to get provision for the press rings?

I need flange- to flange around 50" and therefore I need to cut tubing on the long side Shorter than the short side (and therefore have to cut that one too). Two "short" Explorer axle shafts give approx 54" flange to flange, as far as I have understood. Therefore need to order custom length axle xhafts anyhow.

I know there's a "universal" 9" brake caliper mounting plate available. Know the part number/ vendor???

Thank you.

Regards
RuneS.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....

ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: Ford 8.8 with 9" housing ends

Post by ijames » Mon May 11, 2015 9:40 am

Several years ago I bought axles and Ford 9" bearing ends for my GM 10 bolt and had them welded on. Also got loaded "big Ford station wagon" 9x2" drums and backing plates. All from Moser. Basically all of their axles were the same price (until you get to the special materials and gun drilling :-)), so you just tell them what bearing (large or small ford or c clip eliminator), how long, how many splines, and what lug pattern you want (or even a dual pattern) and it didn't change the price. Same with the drums, I just told them the GM lug pattern and it didn't change the price. So for an extra $300 for the upgraded drum brakes compared to my original Regal drums, and the labor for the rear-end guy to do the cutting and welding on the tube ends I got bulletproof trouble-free Ford ends instead of iffy c-clip eliminators. Ok, I also went to 30 spline axles and a new Eaton posi, but again, that didn't change the axle price. I'm sure it will work the same for the Ford 8.8 rear. Website is http://www.moserengineering.com/, send them an email for their specific recommendations.

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Post by Caprimaniac » Mon May 11, 2015 1:16 pm

I will Carl, thank you.
Will need custom length shafts anyway. Need to stay 4- bolt Euro Ford spec.....

There were some infor in this thread on a Nissan forum: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40836-ford-88-build/
How to turn GURU in an instant.....

Supershafts
Pro
Pro

Post by Supershafts » Wed May 20, 2015 7:44 pm

You buy the ends you want for the brakes you are going to use, then you need to bring it to a driveline shop that can install the ends or see the driveline shop and just tell them what you want or sit down with them and discuss the options.

They aren held in a alignment assembly and welded on.

The new ends will no longer need a c clip axle. Many bearings to work on many types of axles with wedding rings

Find a local shop and speak with them
We Race, We Vote!! Limotorsports.org
Supershafts.com