U-strap marks

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

U-strap marks

Post by BOOT » Tue May 26, 2015 8:05 pm

I just installed some corvette halfshafts with new u-bolts/u-strap and they had these kinda deep gouges on the shank between the u & threads. I assume they were from pressing the U. Anyways now I'm starting to think maybe I should buy others after looking at some u-strap pics online and not seeing the marks. I got them form a corvette places and they also used 15mm nuts instead of 9/16, weird.
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: U-strap marks

Post by BOOT » Tue May 26, 2015 9:41 pm

I pulled one to snap a few quick pics, thinking I'm gonna go ahead and just order some new from another place. All ends have the marks some are lighter and others a bit worse.

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

BCjohnny
Expert
Expert

Re: U-strap marks

Post by BCjohnny » Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 am

BOOT wrote: I assume they were from pressing the U.
Most likely.

Either the edge of the die was worn, or sharp even, or no lube was used when pressed. Or there was insufficient clearance between punch and die to form without dragging.

If it bothers either replace or if the galling is not that deep, linish the marks out. I'd send them back, if only to make the seller aware there's an issue or make good, and depending order elsewhere.

The 'metric' nut sizing seems to suggest they're using common metric nut cold forged blanks for availability/cost, but using an imperial tap for 'correct' thread. Hybrid style, it's not uncommon.
"If an honest man is wrong, after demonstrating that he is wrong, he either stops being wrong or he stops being honest." Anon