Phantom LSD

Post by lada ok » Sat May 30, 2015 4:01 pm

has anyone here built and used a ' phantom ' LSD :?:

Supershafts
Pro
Pro

Re: Phantom LSD

Post by Supershafts » Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Not sure how well they work, but it's a spring plate and it puts pressure on the side gears.
Kind of the real easy way of putting pressure on the side gears without having to remove the spiders and sides from the case.
We Race, We Vote!! Limotorsports.org
Supershafts.com

lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok » Sun May 31, 2015 4:02 pm

Yip that's the idea ,.... I was wondering if anyone had tried it though

S.Bretz

Post by S.Bretz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:38 pm

Phantom Grips were very popular in the scene I started out in (Saturn's sadly).
They helped slow down the one-wheel peel but at a bit of a cost.

The unit that was offered with the light springs help only in the rain. On dry surfaces it did little to nothing. They did offer upgraded springs that where stiff and also shims you could stuff in between the springs and block to stiffen it up even more. The point where you have enough tension in the unit to make it work it would eat away at the spider gears and put metal into the fluid. The magnet in the trans would catch most of it but it would eventually get impregnated into the clutch material on the synchronizer-blocker rings (Saturn used friction material on the blocker rings that was the same as the friction material used in automatic clutch packs...that's why their manual transaxle required ATF Dex3). The pressure also forced the spider gears out into the cage of the differential. Saturn had a plastic retainer that wrapped around the spider gears to help promote fluid flow to the back side of the spider gears and also to act as a bushing for the polished back sides of the spider gears to turn on when the differential has different speeds on either axle. The high pressure would eat away at the retainer and cause the spider gears to start to wear into the differential assembly. Phantom Grip recommended that the installers take out the plastic retainer...which made the spider gears wear out even faster.
I'm not sure what you application will be. It may or may not have similar results due to design differences but do take heed that it may cause more harm in the long run.

In my opinion you are better off getting something like a quaffe or a tru-trac...or a locker or a true LSD unit. I personally do not like LSD units due to the clutches. I have seen too many come in and need to get serviced after 10k-15k miles for very nasty-grindy noises under tight turns (parking lot maneuvers) from crap getting in-between the clutch plates. A tru-trac unit is always quite and doesn't require special additives.