Whine I can't find '96 Dodge/Cumins

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Whine I can't find '96 Dodge/Cumins

Post by Ron E » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:39 am

It's a diesel, automatic (47RE) 4x4 with 272K. This whine is slowly getting louder. It sounds a lot like tires. It's vehicle speed dependent. Accelerating easy or hard, coasting, or braking, or turning doesn't effect the noise. It disappears at about 15 MPH. The only clue is at any speed I can slip it into neutral and its instant silence. Slip it back into drive and it comes back. I changed the fluid and strainer in the trans. Both looked fine. The trans shifts as good as it ever has. Same for lock-up of the converter.
Recently put new rotors/calipers and new hub/bearings in front. (I did this after the whine had started). Other than that, only checked fluids in T-case, and both differentials. U-Joints on both shafts seem fine.
Just wondering if anybody has run into anything similar. Thanks, Ron

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: Whine I can't find '96 Dodge/Cumins

Post by Ron E » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:28 pm

....Added observation

At slower speeds (20-30 mph) is where it seems loudest. (could be just less engine and wind noise...)
At those speeds, it is louder when slowing than a constant speed or accelerating. But, it never disappears unless its slipped into neutral.

BCjohnny
Expert
Expert

Post by BCjohnny » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 am

Ron E wrote:.... it is louder when slowing than a constant speed or accelerating. But, it never disappears unless its slipped into neutral.
Absolutely no experience with the vehicle in question but, short of a recognised problem, the first thing I'd be looking at would be the diffs .......
"If an honest man is wrong, after demonstrating that he is wrong, he either stops being wrong or he stops being honest." Anon

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 am

BCjohnny wrote:
Ron E wrote:.... it is louder when slowing than a constant speed or accelerating. But, it never disappears unless its slipped into neutral.
Absolutely no experience with the vehicle in question but, short of a recognised problem, the first thing I'd be looking at would be the diffs .......

That's where I'm going next. Since it got loud enough to notice the difference in speeding up and slowing down, I've "guessed" that could be it. Thanks

Vintrcr

Post by Vintrcr » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:55 am

I experienced the same symptoms with my 94 Dodge V10 4x4. I thought at first wheel bearing issues, finally traced it down to the rear carrier bearings. This is the Dana 70. I have since heard it is a common problem. My truck only has 7o,ooo miles on it, and has not been abused.
Finding American made bearings was the hard part. A local bearing supply found me a set.
I drove the truck for about 4000 miles before finding the problem. Luckily no gear damage resulted.
Pull the cover and bar the differential to check.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Vintrcr wrote:I experienced the same symptoms with my 94 Dodge V10 4x4. I thought at first wheel bearing issues, finally traced it down to the rear carrier bearings. This is the Dana 70. I have since heard it is a common problem. My truck only has 7o,ooo miles on it, and has not been abused.
Finding American made bearings was the hard part. A local bearing supply found me a set.
I drove the truck for about 4000 miles before finding the problem. Luckily no gear damage resulted.
Pull the cover and bar the differential to check.
Thanks. I'll pull the cover over the weekend. It could well be something like that. I'd like to find it before I have to walk home.

BLstangin

Post by BLstangin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:43 am

There is also a ball bearing on the back of the overdrive unit on these trans that holds the output shaft. I have seen this bearing go bad on my buddies 96 3500 diesel.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:50 pm

BLstangin wrote:There is also a ball bearing on the back of the overdrive unit on these trans that holds the output shaft. I have seen this bearing go bad on my buddies 96 3500 diesel.
Thanks. I'll go there after the diffs. It still seems odd how the thing goes totally quiet when slipped into neutral.

nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Also check the torque converter; they are known to be a weak link.

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:02 am

would it whine if it was in gear on a lift?

easier it poke around with a stethoscope then too.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 pm

I didn't get a chance to pull the cover yet. I was "caught" at the outer banks until today. It was a little "damp" and breezy there.

Do converters start eating themselves but keep operating as normal? I'm asking. I sure don't know.

If pulling the rear cover doesn't show me anything, I'm going to try to run it on stands and, at least, determine which end of the truck it is coming from.

Thank you all for the ideas. I'll be back with results soon.

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:22 pm

BLstangin wrote:There is also a ball bearing on the back of the overdrive unit on these trans that holds the output shaft. I have seen this bearing go bad on my buddies 96 3500 diesel.
Finally got it in the air so the source could be narrowed down. It sure sounds like its in the transfer case/rear of transmission area. Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know what I find in there.