drag racing powerglide

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

cookie_monster

drag racing powerglide

Post by cookie_monster » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Getting my old '85 Mustang back up and running after a 10 year hiatus. My dad's going to be driving it as I don't have the time/money to keep it going like I used to. Anyway, he wants a Powerglide transmission, and honestly is probably the best bet based on the car's weight and engine setup. I run a glide in my other car as well. Bracket racing specifically for both deals.

Anyway I'm putting things together. Got all my parts lined up, servo, band, kit, etc. Picked up a core transmission the other day and pulled it apart, found it to be missing a valve body. No big deal other than I'd liked to have known ahead of time that it was a pro tree brake. During the case strip procedure and after cleaning, I noticed a couple things. First high drum is SMOKED (damaged beyond repair, but no big deal-I have another drum). Second, the rear of the case is drilled for pro tree (single feed/dump). This is an OE PG case, later model front pump only OE 1.76. But what surprises me is all of the holes that are drilled in the back of the case, all the way through to the reverse piston area. There are 3 holes. One at the normal 7:00 position (where you'd normally drill for a pro tree brake), but there are 3 more. All 3 are about 3/32 or 1/8" holes (didn't measure them yet). One is directly above the output shaft area, goes all the way into the reverse piston area. Another one in the left side crescent just to the left of the shaft bushing area, and the last one in what used to be the rear pump reverse feed hole, at the 11:00 position. What are all the extra small holes for? I've drilled a few pro tree glide cases but usually it's just the one hole, and occasionally plugging the 11:00 rear pump reverse feed hole. Never seen anything like this before.

Dad's planning on putting a manual valve body in it from FTI. He MIGHT (not likely at all) go with a full tree brake. Undecided at this time. But if we use the manual valve body...or even the full tree brake, what do I do with all the extra holes?
Attachments
glidecase.JPG

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: drag racing powerglide

Post by ProPower engines » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:57 am

cookie_monster wrote:Getting my old '85 Mustang back up and running after a 10 year hiatus. My dad's going to be driving it as I don't have the time/money to keep it going like I used to. Anyway, he wants a Powerglide transmission, and honestly is probably the best bet based on the car's weight and engine setup. I run a glide in my other car as well. Bracket racing specifically for both deals.

Anyway I'm putting things together. Got all my parts lined up, servo, band, kit, etc. Picked up a core transmission the other day and pulled it apart, found it to be missing a valve body. No big deal other than I'd liked to have known ahead of time that it was a pro tree brake. During the case strip procedure and after cleaning, I noticed a couple things. First high drum is SMOKED (damaged beyond repair, but no big deal-I have another drum). Second, the rear of the case is drilled for pro tree (single feed/dump). This is an OE PG case, later model front pump only OE 1.76. But what surprises me is all of the holes that are drilled in the back of the case, all the way through to the reverse piston area. There are 3 holes. One at the normal 7:00 position (where you'd normally drill for a pro tree brake), but there are 3 more. All 3 are about 3/32 or 1/8" holes (didn't measure them yet). One is directly above the output shaft area, goes all the way into the reverse piston area. Another one in the left side crescent just to the left of the shaft bushing area, and the last one in what used to be the rear pump reverse feed hole, at the 11:00 position. What are all the extra small holes for? I've drilled a few pro tree glide cases but usually it's just the one hole, and occasionally plugging the 11:00 rear pump reverse feed hole. Never seen anything like this before.

Dad's planning on putting a manual valve body in it from FTI. He MIGHT (not likely at all) go with a full tree brake. Undecided at this time. But if we use the manual valve body...or even the full tree brake, what do I do with all the extra holes?
Just plug the holes you do not need/want and carry on. The case is cast aluminum so simply welding up the holes from the rev. servo side of the case would be easy to do or tap the holes and thread in a plug and epoxy it in place. :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors

mike hohnstein

Re: drag racing powerglide

Post by mike hohnstein » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 am