Trans air cooler vs extra capacity pan

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Trans air cooler vs extra capacity pan

Post by BOOT » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:52 pm

If you had to choose one over the other what would you do 1st, use a larger pan(lets say 2-4 qrts more) or add an air cooler in addition to already using a cooler in radiator(let say basic small-mid size)?
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Re: Trans air cooler vs extra capacity pan

Post by Brian P » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Depends what you're doing with it.

Towing? Trans cooler. A bigger oil pan will just make it take longer before it heats up. A trans cooler will actually get rid of more heat.

Drag racing? Flip a coin unless you have additional information about the specific transmission you are using.

steve cowan
Pro
Pro

Post by steve cowan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:22 am

my last race car destroyed the planetry and my guy that does my trannys told me in a drag racing application not to use a cooler and just bypass the trans cooler lines between each other,he says that the trans wont get to operating temp quickly enough,a lot different in a street car with a resonable stall converter,deep pan- help carry debris and heat away from internals the same way a larger capacity engine sump if set up correctly.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:28 pm

If you have to "hot lap" it, or if you drive the car on the street, no oil cooler of any sort doesn't sound like a good idea. I have a hard time understanding how having an oil cooler would contribute to destroyed gears inside the transmission.