LHD vs RHD manual trans and handedness

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Re: LHD vs RHD manual trans and handedness

Post by joe 90 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:23 pm

It's nothing more than a learning ability or disability.

My first car was (RHD) column shift, 4 speed, up and towards you for 1st, towards you and down for 2nd, away and up for 3rd, away and down for 4th........pretty much standard...with your left hand of course.

There was an aftermarket (in line) floor shift available.
Being young and silly I had to have one.

It was locally made and named an "impala shifter"

For 1st you pushed it down and forwards, 2nd was down and back, 3rd, you let it pop up and forwards, 4th, straight back.

For reverse, you needed 2 hands, push it right down against a spring, forwards.

It pretty much made the car thief proof as well as friend proof.....pretty much nobody else could drive it without practice.

But like everything else, it's just a learning curve.

My own personal views are that left handed people are quicker at learning new tasks than right handed people, after dealing with such problems all their lives. But then again......I would say that being a leftie.
I still remember at the age of 5 the teacher trying to get me to use a pencil with my right hand and I kept on swapping it over to my left and the teacher telling me I'm doing it all wrong.
Nothing ever changes?

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Circlotron wrote:
peejay wrote:One thing that I could never grasp about RHD is why the shift pattern isn't mirrored. With LHD the shift is either straight forward/back or towards/away from you. With RHD the shift pattern is forward/back or at an odd sideways angle.
What do you mean "an odd sideways angle"? With a stick, the tranny is in the centre of the car so the shift pattern is the same in both cases. Do you mean some kind of column shift setup?
I mean for a standard floor mount shifter. When shifting righthanded, shift motions are all push/pull. Shifting lefthanded, any shifts across the gate are a sideways sweeping motion without much in the way of natural muscle motion/leverage.

Isn't it odd that cars used to have the transmission under the floor and a column shift, and now they have the trans at the base of the column (for LHD anyway, or older RHD Honda/Mitsubishi) but floor shift?

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:27 pm

The only RHD car I drove (3 cylinder Suzuki), I though I was doing OK until I noticed I was postponing my body in the same place on the road as for a LHD, but that meant the rest of the car was sticking out across the center line... #-o
That and After I thought I knew what I was doing I shifter the window crank...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:47 am

I drove my sister's 65 Beetle for quite a while in high school. Borrowed the Olds Custom Cruiser with some passengers in it and right as I reached about 20 mph I shifted using the power brakes. HELLO. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:49 am

Hah, that reminds me of the time I pulled the fore-aft position lever under the seat, while slowing down in traffic with my foot on the brake. Good example of a positive feedback loop.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:11 pm

I knew a guy who told me about the time he held the seat adjuster and mashed the throttle on his Pinto. Good example of a negative feedback loop, with oscillation.

He couldn't talk about it without laughing and he said when he did it, he laughed so hard he threw up.

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:59 pm

The seat in my '63 327 4 speed Chevy II was stuck way far back. A short friend borrowed it and when he pulled out to pass someone he floored it in 2nd gear and it threw him back in the seat, pulling his foot off the gas. The resulting deceleration threw him forward, whereupon his foot nailed the gas again... The woman he was trying to pass was more than a little alarmed. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Post by joe 90 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm

He would have been right handed?

KCW

Post by KCW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:44 am

Motorcycles- left/right side brake. Got a couple customers with old Sportsters, do a little Zen thing before test ride, never make it the top of shift pattern without screwing up. Hondamatic, left bar lever is parking brake, has interlock pin, first experience this year, might of found my butt sliding down pavement without pin, when I tried to shift. In the firearm vein, couldn't hit anything with friends rifles, nor they with mine. Son took Hunter Safety, I read the lit, discovered I'm cross dominant, left eye-right hand. Shoot others guns left handed, do okay.

Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:41 am

I have pondered this subject a little myself, being left handed.
However, in a typical LHD/manual, most right handed people are required to steer with their left when shifting. Swap sides, and now the dominant hand is steering when shifting. I've never heard anyone complain their dominant hand is off the wheel...
I think it all comes down to practice, and little bit of ability. I've driven vehicles with two gas pedals, reverse throttle pedals, hand steering, lever steering, hydrostatic (now theres an idiot proof setup) and manual trans LHD and RHD.
I will admit, the RHD manual vehicle was actually fairly pleasant to drive, and I had no issues with vehicle lane position, shifting or signalling.

I also recently started paying attention to what I do first hand/foot based and see if the opposite is typically true for RH people. Like which shoe you put on first, where the phone/wallet goes, carrying a bag, etc. Fairly amusing.

joe 90
Guru
Guru

Post by joe 90 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:44 pm

It's a bit like playing musical instruments.
You don't get left handed violins and if you did, you wouldn't fit into an orchestra.
But to me, a violin , the way it is is correct for a left handed person. Your left hand does the notes, the right only has to move the bow up and down.
Then when it comes to guitars.......surely that's the same.
I could never figure out why Paul Mc Cartney plays his back to front?

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:00 am

joe 90 wrote:It's a bit like playing musical instruments.
You don't get left handed violins and if you did, you wouldn't fit into an orchestra.
But to me, a violin , the way it is is correct for a left handed person. Your left hand does the notes, the right only has to move the bow up and down.
Then when it comes to guitars.......surely that's the same.
I could never figure out why Paul Mc Cartney plays his back to front?

https://books.google.com/books?id=-eh8B ... gs&f=false See page 21.