200R4

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Kev7s

200R4

Post by Kev7s » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Want kind of horsepower will a built 200R4 take?

Fireonthemountain

Re: 200R4

Post by Fireonthemountain » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Kev7s wrote:Want kind of horsepower will a built 200R4 take?

Built by an expert, with no expense spared, then probably more than you make.

It probably depends more on torque made, and the weight of the vehicle, and the traction of the vehicle. A tire that spins puts less strain on transmissions then one that doesn't. A 6000 pound vehicle is probably a lot more strain than a 3000 pound one.

Torque wins races and breaks things, while HP sells cars and things in advertising and is probably closer to fairy dust.

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Kev7s wrote:Want kind of horsepower will a built 200R4 take?

Reliably and affordably? Maybe as much as 1000HP. It depends entirely on the application. They work fairly well in even high HP Buick Turbo V6 (Grand National) type applications. They don't necessarily work all that well behind a big cubic inch big block Chevy, for example.

lefty o
Pro
Pro

Post by lefty o » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:42 pm

built, by who? that is what matters most. a well put together 2004r will handle an 800hp big block, no problems. the thing is, alot of guys who build them cant make them last behind a 400hp small block. done right, they are a great transmission.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:11 pm

The GN 200R4 is a different beast entirely than the regular ones, even the "Cadillac" ones they put behind the aluminum V8s. Even so, there is only so much you can do and most people go to a 350/400 anyway.

It's "interesting" to feel the trans slip in 3rd gear in a ~600ft-lb turbo car. Means you can stop turning the boost up ;) But at least that built trans would slip and not break. At first.

Fireonthemountain

Post by Fireonthemountain » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:34 am

peejay wrote:The GN 200R4 is a different beast entirely than the regular ones, even the "Cadillac" ones they put behind the aluminum V8s. Even so, there is only so much you can do and most people go to a 350/400 anyway.

It's "interesting" to feel the trans slip in 3rd gear in a ~600ft-lb turbo car. Means you can stop turning the boost up ;) But at least that built trans would slip and not break. At first.
If your trans is slipping its not going to last long and should be fixed, after you first feel it do that. Its not hard to see why so many burn them up. A lot of people even think they can drive them around without even the tv cable set right, or even hooked up at all. The GN is a good one to start with, but needs building for more power, but there are other ones that will work fine as well.

On the TH 400s I destroyed a stock one in my Camaro, then got a B&M Street Strip unit, but that lasted only a few months on the street, and I sent it back to B&M who fixed it on warranty, but they added their funny car clutches to it and a reverse pattern manual shift valve body. Now, that one lasted well past my owning that car, and the only one out of about 7 in it that did. There were a number of new M22 rock crusher 4 speeds it destroyed fast before the automatics.

If you know little and don't pay attention, and just love to get stupid with a car on a consistent basis then the TH 400 may hold up, but I would forget the 200R4 or the 700R4s. It all depends.

I currently run a 200R4. I did love the manual shift valve body in the 400. If you were in 2nd or 3rd and stopped, that's what gear it started out in. If you let up on the gas when you shifted you got a fast shift you couldn't even feel and that was nice. When maxed out on power the shifts were lightning fast and full power hard like a standard and the tires lit up, with a low stall converter. Converters can play a big part in how a transmission behaves, and if it will last as well. Just my views of course.

Coloradoracer
Pro
Pro

Post by Coloradoracer » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04 am

A th200 built to take any decent amount of hp isn't going to be cheap, and they are generally used in specialized applications. If you're looking for a performance automatic, and it's a gm, stick with either a th350 or a th400. The 350, properly built, should be good to about 750-800 hp, but again, it won't be cheap.....The 400 will easily hold that with mostly stock parts as long as it's properly prepped and assembled. All depends on what you want to accomplish and how you want to get there.....

There's always a powergilde as well, but a good one built correctly won't be cheap either, and not the best choice if you're running on the street...
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:03 pm

Talk to the REAL Art Carr about a stout 200R4 tranny!

Also Jakeshoe in TX and Bruce Toelle if you want to.

pdq67