welding axle tubes

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Kbails

welding axle tubes

Post by Kbails » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:30 pm

I have currently removed the rear from car (8.5 10 bolt) to clean up and change axels and want to weld the axle tubes. my main question is would you weld the tubes with the carrier in place? I was going to then my buddy told me not to because I could damage the bearings.. so im looking for advice.
You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Re: welding axle tubes

Post by crazyman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Skirting the original question, but I've seen youtube videos where they recommend strapping the tubes down on stands and locking the center section in place so you don't warp the assembly and throw things out of a true centerline. Like strapping it to an immovable object. Ridgid.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:44 pm

If you gonna go to the trouble of making sure the axles don't move then they should be straightened 1st, but then your just dropping it off at a shop that can do all of it. Course then when you go to all that trouble you'll wanna have it braced so it stays that way.

I've seen some weld them up on the car. IDK what type of build this is, but if budget I might just try and tach weld it all around. Then stich weld it all around, but do it in some kind of cross pattern so it won't pull one way. Doing that may not be ideal but if right I'd imagine it can't be worse than it already is. If the wheels turn harder you messed up.
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

Robert Kane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robert Kane » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:53 pm

I would definitely take the carrier out of the rear. Not because of damage to the bearings, but to be able to get the inside as clean and oil free as possible. Any oil or contaminant will be drawn into the weld from the heat. Strapping down to stands won't prevent warping, because the stands will move, and the metal will shrink whether it's held or not. Once released, the tube will move. The key is to weld small sections at a time equally spaced around the tube. Alternate back and forth from one tube to the other. give it PLENTY of time to cool down, and only about 1" welds at a time. If you cant put your hand on it then it's still needs to cool more. Keeping the heat down will reduce warpage (or make it controllable). I once saw an Old Timer where he ran strings across from one backing plate to the other at 3, 6, 9, & 12 o'clock positions so he could watch the slack in the strings to tell where the tube warped to and he would weld opposite and you could see the string go tight again as it moved back. Of course in addition to all of this, cutting the ends off and using an alignment bar & arbors would ensure that it is perfect when done. Good luck, and patience!
Robert.

77cruiser
Expert
Expert

Post by 77cruiser » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Here's a how to, not sure if it's the correct way but sounds reasonable.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18890
Jim