Tremic 6-speed thoughts.

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

predator

Tremic 6-speed thoughts.

Post by predator » Sun May 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Does anyone have any {Hands-On} experience with a Tremec-6-Speed?

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Tremic 6-speed thoughts.

Post by PackardV8 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:21 am

predator wrote:Does anyone have any {Hands-On} experience with a Tremec-6-Speed?
Driving? Racing? Rebuilding? Parts sourcing? Which one - Ford/GM/Mopar?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

predator

Post by predator » Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 am

I am building my 71 Plymouth road-runner. I have aspirations of running my car up at events such as a Silver-State Challenge up in Nevada. I also would like to make a decent account of it's self at the Drag-strip. I think, I think? For that to happen well I need good gearing weather I am driving at slow speeds. Read Slow means means below 200 mph. I need good gearing for running at all speeds. Weather I am under below 200 M-P-H out on my local Drag-Strip. Or if I am out there in the High Desert of Nevada. Running at speeds above 200 M-P-H.

So, this has me thinking that a 6 speed trans-plant is in order. That coupled with a lower rear end gear ratio. These changes should keep my Drive-Line happy. I just do not know if the Tremic is the 6-speed that I should put into my Bird.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Mon May 30, 2016 11:19 pm

You WILL need to do some serious floor surgery to make it fit.

I've worked with the Keisler 5 speed conversion setup. They cut a big notch out of the top of the transmission in order to clear an under-floor cross member. They always leak where they epoxied a piece of sheetmetal over the hole. A Tremec 6 speed has gears there, not just empty tailshaft, so the only way you're going to make that fit is to cut that cross member out. Given that the member is what the torsion bars force against, you'll need to either figure out a way to put beaming strength back in that area after you cut a big hole through it all, or ditch the torsion bars.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks » Mon May 30, 2016 11:38 pm

rode with a guy who had a 6 spd in his road race car behind a 427. i was impressed with the way it shifted, much better than a tko600 5 spd it looked like. it is a lump, 130#.

predator

Drive-Line failure at 200 M-P-H!

Post by predator » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:52 pm

O-K, O-K Guys. Here's the Deal. Right now my Cad has a Full Cage. I have a Magnum Force Independant front suspension. The car right now haS the original rear-end in the Car. I have 4.88 Gears. I gave some thought to adding a second Gear-Vendors Over-Drive to compliment the Over-Drive That I have.

I want my Car to run up to Two Hundred Miles an hour, or More. But right now I'm thinking that maybe I should go to a lower Rear-End Gear. This is why I am thinking about running a Six-speed.

I see that I will have the Horsepower to push my Car through the Air up to Two-Hundred Miles an hour. I see that I need to run the proper gears in in my Drive-Line. Yes having a catroscopic Drive-Line failure in my Car while driving up at 200 Miles an Hour. Yes spinning the Drive shaft to Hypersonic speeds. This thought quit frankly this real possibility Freaks me out.

jacksoni
Expert
Expert

Post by jacksoni » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:05 pm

I think you may have posted in one of the driveshaft threads. Look at the one just below here-driveshaft critical speed. For 200 mph, overdrives only slow down the engine (not the driveshaft). A 4.88 gear and 35" tire needs 9750 driveshaft rpm or so for that speed. You have to go to a lower numerical rear gear regardless of overdrives. You have to figure what engine power and rpm limits are, design the drivetrain to fit-tire size, rear gear, trans ratios, overdrives etc. to match. Using a program like Bonneville Pro will help playing with those issues easily. You need a lot of power to go that fast so get your engine built and some dyno numbers and measure your frontal area and see if you can find some CD numbers that are reasonable- or be pessimistic with your guess.

predator

Post by predator » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:52 pm

I will finish putting my Car into a runner. It will "FOR NOW THAT IS" it will be run with the 4.88's, and the G-V Over-Drive. But in the Future I think that it very well might get a 6-Speed.

For now, I wqill continue on with the process of making my Car a runner. Running the Torque-Flight. The G-V Over-Drive. The 8 and 3/4 rear-end. Then I can drive the Car to a Chassis Dyno-shop. Where I will find-out just how much Horse-power It makes.

jacksoni
Expert
Expert

Post by jacksoni » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:12 pm

predator wrote:I will finish putting my Car into a runner. It will "FOR NOW THAT IS" it will be run with the 4.88's, and the G-V Over-Drive. But in the Future I think that it very well might get a 6-Speed.

For now, I wqill continue on with the process of making my Car a runner. Running the Torque-Flight. The G-V Over-Drive. The 8 and 3/4 rear-end. Then I can drive the Car to a Chassis Dyno-shop. Where I will find-out just how much Horse-power It makes.
This seems to be a good plan. See what you have, what can then be changed and adjust parts or goals as necessary.

ChevyEFI

Post by ChevyEFI » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:20 pm

You keep posting about this.

Start saving.

And find a market for your G/V & Torque Flite.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:15 pm

What's the highest gear we have to try to use?/

Something like a 2.29 or so? And wasn't it in either a 9" or 9-1/4" Lincoln rear end or possibly an old Cad. "BIG" car 12-bolt?

Didn't Big Red run something like a 2.50 or so rear end gear in it at one time through the years?

If so, then look at tire diameter to give you the top end speed that you want.

Then build your engine to give you the Hp to push her up there!

pdq67

predator

Re: Manual-speed thoughts, shifting.

Post by predator » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:06 pm

O-K, I have a thought: I am recalling where my Friend Mike Blake who mas a Very sharp Guy. Well Mike came up with a system for a Kawasaki-Z. It used the Bikes Neutral safety sith along with the Shifter. This set-up would Kill the Engine as one went through the gears. The result of this system. One could go through the gears in a Bike So equipped Click, Click, Click up through the gears while the throttle was held wide open. It worked GREAT! My thought is: Why could a person not do this with say a manual Transmission/

Bear with me hear for I am merely fantasizing some. but i can just see how great it would be to do this with say a Six-Speed.

So, how about some imput on this Thought. Here is my E-Mail address if any one wants to contact me directly, and my phone number also 925-497-1059

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Motorcycle transmissions use dog-engagement, not synchromesh, and can change gears much quicker than any synchro unit can ... BUT ... they will not tolerate being shifted into neutral at speed (or more specifically, they will not tolerate shifting *into* gear with a huge speed difference between the two shafts, e.g. after the engine has dropped to idle speed in neutral). That's why bike transmissions use a sequential linkage with a neutral only between 1st and 2nd (which can only be shifted into at a relatively low road speed).

I know dog-engagement boxes with sequential shift linkages are available for rally cars (Subaru WRX etc). Suffice it to say that they are not designed to go 300,000 km without an overhaul. If you get a couple races out of them you're doing okay. $$$$$$$

Transport trucks use dog-engagement boxes ... but they're huuuuuuuge and incredibly heavy (and they don't rev high).

predator

Oranges and Apples.

Post by predator » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:44 pm

i just thought that maybe it would be cool to have a Six-Speed with the same capability as a Z" did back in The Day. You know how this set-Up was device evolved? Well Mike came up with the Idea of killing the Engine momentarily via the Neutral safety switch . Well he quickly found out that the set-up worked so well. He did not end up using the Air actuated part of the Air-shifter to shift the Bike . It was So Cool! One could make full throttle shifts while not ever missing a shift, But, I guess a Bike's Trans is different from a Six Speeds.

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm

If you have the stock chrysler rear axle why nbot just have 2 different center sections with different gear ratios set up so you can swap as required.
The rear tires will be different for high speed- top MPH running and Drag strip use also....so.....

It takes about 35 minutes to swap the center sections-gears out on a Mopar 8-3/4" rear.
Make a small service access hole in the trunk floor above the axle to allow quick refilling the rear axle fluid
with a hose.