Saginaw 3 speed rebuild help!

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

jtb032295

Saginaw 3 speed rebuild help!

Post by jtb032295 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding a 3sp Saginaw and trying currently trying to remove 1st speed gear. I CANNOT get this thing off. The rear bearing and 1st sync rings pressed off easy. 1st gear started coming off and move about 1/2" but will not budge after that..

Please help!

ChevyEFI

Re: Saginaw 3 speed rebuild help!

Post by ChevyEFI » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:25 pm

Since it's a Saginaw, grip just under the gear and put your other hand on the pilot end.
Hammer the output end against a piece of wood on the floor.
Or get a proper puller / press.

jtb032295

Post by jtb032295 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:49 pm

ChevyEFI wrote:Since it's a Saginaw, grip just under the gear and put your other hand on the pilot end.
Hammer the output end against a piece of wood on the floor.
Or get a proper puller / press.
I do have a proper press equipped with a 12 ton jack.. I figure it should be plenty to press these gears off...

I started from the tailshaft end and removed the reverse gear and syncro assembly. I proceeded to attempt removing 1st gear with no luck. It moved about 1/2" and then stopped dead. I applied a little heat and it moved about 1/2" farther.. Then stopped.. I'm lost as to what could be keeping it from coming off? Is there a snap ring holding 1st gear in place besides the syncro snap ring? My diagram showed nothing....

autogear
Pro
Pro

Post by autogear » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:07 pm

sounds like you either welded 1st gear up on the mainshaft or are pretty close to it. This happens when you spend a lot of time in the upper gears, like circle track racing.

Mike @ Magnus Racing in Danielson, CT is one of the premier circle track Saginaw builders and may have an answer to preventing this in the future. He will also have a selection of gears and shafts for you.