Summit Steel Flywheel

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Rosenbluth

Summit Steel Flywheel

Post by Rosenbluth » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:38 am

Going to buy a new flywheel for my 406 Chevelle. Wondering if anyone has any experience with Summit's billet flywheel. It's SFI approved and looks fine in pictures. Looking for anyone that has good or bad opinions on it, or if I need to get the name brand Hays, McLeaod, ect. thx

BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Re: Summit Steel Flywheel

Post by BirdMan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:26 am

What rpm range do you plan to use? I would think a 'billet' steel SFI sticker is good to ? rpm's. You might look at the SFI specs for them. My SBF I took to 9m or so using a Hays, Zoom, Ram billet flywheels.

Billet may have different levels / grades, I don't know myself.

I also always used a Lakewood steel blow proof bellhousing to be safe and for NHRA racing.
Dale C.

BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:14 am

May want to consider aluminum. I have one on a street car and no problems (Ram True Balance). SBF 395 stroker, 2.94 first, 4.11 rear and 27'' tire. Look into Quick Times bellhousings. They ''fit like a glove'' if there are clearence problems.

dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:27 am

there's a deal on an "ordered wrong one" bolted on but unused #6530 RAM on ebay, I sent you a PM

Rosenbluth

Post by Rosenbluth » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:22 pm

This is a street car hot rod weekend cruiser only. Prob won't see more than 6000 rpm hardly ever. M20 Muncie. 2.50 first gear, 3.31rear. from reading lots, it sounds like I might not want the aluminum one cuz my gearing and I'm a 72 Chevelle weighing prob like 3800 or more. I have an aluminum one, but it's 25 years old, needs a new friction plate, and as I looked it over the other day, it don't have a weight on it for an external balanced 400. I don't even know what brand it is as there are no part numbers on it. It does have a few holes drilled around the outer edge, I wondered if they did that to make the opposite side heavy to act as the counterweight. I was thinking about calling Ram or someone to send them some pics to try and figure out if it's theirs and it's actually for an ext. balance.Thx Dave for the link, but I'm 2pc rear main.

Rosenbluth

Post by Rosenbluth » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:28 pm

And the engine is a torque monster. Something around 550 to 600 tq I'm estimating. Way back in the early 90's, we built this engine and ran a glide with it. Later changed to manual trans and used that old alum flywheel. Was told it was for a 400 so I never even looked at it. Ran it that way for few years without issue, so either it was the right one or I just got lucky it didn't shake apart from out of balance. I was younger and dumber back then so we just ran what we got our hands on and didn't think so much about it like we do nowadays...lol

Rosenbluth

Post by Rosenbluth » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:29 pm

And I do have the steel blow proof bellhousing that I plan to run no matter what flywheel.