A question about the past

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert

A question about the past

Post by exhaustgases » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:04 pm

As a youngster I remember the good old B&M transmission catalog, that had the dual rang hydramatic in it.
Does anyone still use of have one? Where they pretty strong? I know they were used in some of the trucks of the day so they must have been pretty beefy.
I've worked on a few back in the day but not in a racing application.

Fireonthemountain

Re: A question about the past

Post by Fireonthemountain » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:20 pm

They were the best for their day, but that ended with the BJs and Lencos, plus the Clutch Turbo and Clutchflites then the high stall turbos and Torqueflyte. The hydramatics had a fluid coupling rather than the better stall converters that were used on later transmissions, and they used a deep first gear around 3.82 to 4 something.

A history of the transmissions here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic

Even if you got one for free, it might be hard to find parts for them or anyone who knows how to work on them anymore.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Ah, the old Olds 4-speed Hydromatic.

A classmate had a '56, 98 Olds Convert. that was his Uncles pride and joy! Boy did he trash it.

I remember the tranny shifting like this back then, (1965 or so)...

Bang/bang, --- bang, ----, bang! In other words, stock, the 1st into 2nd shift was almost instantaneous! Then 3rd and on into 4th were "normal"....

I figure it was because it needed to get a big heavy car moving off the line was why 1st shifted like this??

Oh, and the big car had a "Wonder-Bar" radio in it!!!

pdq67

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Stone Woods & Cook, Big John Mazmanian and most AA Gas/Supercharged cars in the early to mid 60's used that tranny, of course built by B&M Transmissions. Those were fun days to be a part of drag racing.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:59 pm

pdq67 wrote:Ah, the old Olds 4-speed Hydromatic.

A classmate had a '56, 98 Olds Convert. that was his Uncles pride and joy! Boy did he trash it.

I remember the tranny shifting like this back then, (1965 or so)...

Bang/bang, --- bang, ----, bang! In other words, stock, the 1st into 2nd shift was almost instantaneous! Then 3rd and on into 4th were "normal"....

I figure it was because it needed to get a big heavy car moving off the line was why 1st shifted like this??

Oh, and the big car had a "Wonder-Bar" radio in it!!!

pdq67
They didn't have torque converters, just fluid couplings, so they needed a really deep First in order to get moving. No torque multiplication in the fluid coupling.

One of my customers had a '40 Cadillac with one of those transmissions. Man it was a PITA to get it into Reverse. You had to roll forward slightly in a certain gear and then stop and get Reverse. If you didn't then you'd get nothing but gear clash. After the war, they put a brake on the gears so you could get Reverse without drama. Like his '55 (I think) Oldsmobile had.

exhaustgases
Expert
Expert

Post by exhaustgases » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:19 am

And wasn't 4 th a direct lock up by passing the fluid coupling? If I remember there were three splined input shafts, one was the pump the big one, and the small one was the direct?