Wavetrac/Truetrac or Currie Platinum Trac?? which one

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

ozmuscleowner

Wavetrac/Truetrac or Currie Platinum Trac?? which one

Post by ozmuscleowner » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:31 am

So I'm going to replace my spool to make my Street car more friendly on front tyres driving around town!!

I have looked at all of the above diff centers.. the wavetrac, truetrac and platinum trac and each has their own advantages and disadvantages.. The truetrac is not preloaded where the platinum and the wave tracs are so maybe that's more suitable for my use... I have a big block chev making around 600 HP at the engine, turbo 400 with a 3500rpm stall and a 3.7 to 1 ratio 31 spline ford 9 inch, all in a light car like an Elcamino pickup of say 1964 vintage..

I have seen one of them fail but it was in a Burnout competition in Australia so for example have a look at this stuff.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBbQLyVzrq4 .......but then again they should have used a spool instead definitely not intended for that abuse... but I cant help myself either

So I'm asking for your thoughts and experiences with the above mentioned centers , what have you guys used and what was your experiences, if you got one and used another why did you change or did you think what you had before was just as good..

Please help!

Geoff2
Expert
Expert

Re: Wavetrac/Truetrac or Currie Platinum Trac?? which one

Post by Geoff2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:04 am

PowerTrax NoSlip

ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:22 am

thanks Geoff2 I have been looking at that for the open 8 inch center in my 1965 mustang...

only problem I don't have a center at all and I would have to find something to put one into...

ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:30 am

geoff2.. just looked them up they do a grip pro? complete unit, have you used one?

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16 pm

9" rear end! Detroit Locker, a no-brainer!

Sure it has it's "querks", but it is almost indestructible, imho.

Just watch when it loads and unloads going around corner in the rain/snow, (ie., when it is slick), is all..

pdq67

Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:27 am

Wavetrack is sturdy and behaves much more nicely on street than any traditional locker. When I had the detroit locker in my Mustang, the safest way to pass in high speed traffic was to change lanes first, then stomp on it. With torsen type diff you don't even notice it's there.

People have driven lockers for ages, but torsen type is way more pleasant in use.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:57 pm

What is the mechanical eff. of a Wavelock/Torsen rear end center section due to the worm gears?

VS an Eaton 12-bolt, "clutch-plate", and a Detroit Locker, "dog-clutch"?

pdq67

ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:39 am

I believe the wavetrac is preloaded on the differential pinions as with the Detroit Truetrac doesn't have the capability to have a preload on the pinions(worm drives?)

ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:41 am

pdq67 wrote:9" rear end! Detroit Locker, a no-brainer!

Just watch when it loads and unloads going around corner in the rain/snow, (ie., when it is slick), is all..

pdq67
PDQ67 does the Detroit locker have a service life, recently when I was purchasing one for a customer the saleman told me it has a life of about 600 to 700 cycles.... then it would need to be rebuilt as the dogs wear internally? I do like the Detroit locker just don't like how it bangs in and out

Does anybody know??

Has anybody used a Wavetrac?

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:08 am

ozmuscleowner wrote:
pdq67 wrote:9" rear end! Detroit Locker, a no-brainer!

pdq67
PDQ67 does the Detroit locker have a service life, recently when I was purchasing one for a customer the saleman told me it has a life of about 600 to 700 cycles.... then it would need to be rebuilt as the dogs wear internally? I do like the Detroit locker just don't like how it bangs in and out

Does anybody know??

Has anybody used a Wavetrac?
I don't know what the 'service life" of a Locker is if it has one? I can't see it being any problem because I figure over time all rear end center sections will need to be rebuilt. You know, like new clutches and springs in an Eaton 12-bolt. Much less seals and bearings.

You might try to hunt Freddie, (aka, "big gear head'), down if he will answer you. Freddie is/was the rear end Guru if not mistaken on the Boards but I think he might have retired a while back so doesn't post anymore.

Freddie flat knows rear ends!!!!

pdq67

ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 pm

thanks ill give it a go