Direct drive torque flite

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Derek72

Direct drive torque flite

Post by Derek72 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Can anyone help, needing to know what or how to do a direct drive 904. Planning on using a flex plate with ring gear from jw performance, and tci has the drive that bolts to the crank and drives the pump. Just not sure about the ball valve and hose routing

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Re: Direct drive torque flite

Post by pdq67 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:36 pm

You talking about a "clutch-flite"?

pdq67

Derek72

Post by Derek72 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:50 am

No, I'm talking about a direct drive, like a power glide for circle track racing.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:37 pm

The lack of responses is probably indicative that the rest of us don't know what you are trying to do.

What are you trying to "direct drive"?

By "direct drive" do you mean:
A. Locking the planetary gear mechanism in "direct drive" i.e. 3rd in this situation, so that it no longer has first, second, or reverse?
B. Driving the final drive unit "directly" so that there is no prop-shaft?
C. (and I suspect this is the one, due to the discussion about ring gear etc) Eliminating the torque converter so that the engine operates the transmission input shaft "directly" (although hopefully through some sort of vibration-damping coupling)? (How do you handle starting off from a standstill?)

If it is C, why? There was a version of the Torque Flite that had a lock-up torque converter, if the aim is to cut down on power loss and heat load.

Sorry for the dumb questions from someone on the outside looking in ...

tonyg64

Post by tonyg64 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:38 pm

by direct drive he means, no clutch or converter. This can be achieved with a crank driven pump that only provides enough pressure to drive the the transmission at certain rpms- so no drive at idle

Tony

Derek72

Post by Derek72 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Is anyone familiar with a powerglide used for circle track racing? Slot of them are direct drive setups, some of them run a dummy converter.

barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:12 am

I know what you are doing ran direct drive glide for years. All you need to do is disassemble the pump halves, drill and tap both the pump inlet and out let for 1/4 pipe thread, install the fittings with the pump disassembled. Then after the fittings are tight on the inside of the pump grind them flush so the fittings do not protrude into the housing. use 3/8 or 1/2 inch hydraulic lines to a ball valve in the cockpit open the valve witch dumps the pressure from the output side of the pump back to the inlet side.Put the car in gear and close the valve slowly but not to slowly and away you go.

technicaltom

Post by technicaltom » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:43 pm

barnym17 wrote:I know what you are doing ran direct drive glide for years. All you need to do is disassemble the pump halves, drill and tap both the pump inlet and out let for 1/4 pipe thread, install the fittings with the pump disassembled. Then after the fittings are tight on the inside of the pump grind them flush so the fittings do not protrude into the housing. use 3/8 or 1/2 inch hydraulic lines to a ball valve in the cockpit open the valve witch dumps the pressure from the output side of the pump back to the inlet side.Put the car in gear and close the valve slowly but not to slowly and away you go.
Would I be correct in thinking this set up would be used on a "rolling start" type of racing ?
chevrolet obsession-TechnicalTom.

barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:03 am

Yes circle track,removes the converters rotating weight makes a huge difference in laptimes.