Where to set transbrake

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

hotrides4u2

Where to set transbrake

Post by hotrides4u2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi guys,

I just purchased a powerglide. I have it bolted to a sbc in a 3400 lb g body. The torque converter is a 5200 stall. Question is..where do I set my 2 step for the transbrake? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

406shark

Re: Where to set transbrake

Post by 406shark » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:41 pm

hotrides4u2 wrote:Hi guys,

I just purchased a powerglide. I have it bolted to a sbc in a 3400 lb g body. The torque converter is a 5200 stall. Question is..where do I set my 2 step for the transbrake? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

It's one of those things that you have to test and find what works best for your package.

I set mine for best reaction times. I found through testing that I set mine at 4300 rpm... converter's actual stall is 5900. The 4300 rpm gives me my best reaction times. It's not all about getting the best 60' for me... reaction time is king in bracket or index racing.

I started out 500 rpm under stall... then played around until I found the sweet spot.

Jeff

hotrides4u2

Post by hotrides4u2 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I will most likely start at around 3800 and work my way from there. I do know that its a whole different feel with this powerglide vs the 400. I sort of feel like the motor that I have, 383 sbc pushing around 650hp, is undersized for this tranny. There is no "launch" off of the line. Maybe I'm missing something though

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Why are you using a 2 step? If you want it to launch the hardest, just rug the throttle and immediately release the trans brake. That way all the engine torque is applied immediately.
If the flash stall speed is a real 5200rpm it will launch at 5200 rpm and leave like a rocket.

Stage it, Rug it, release it. hang on. If you want to fine tune and control the short time between when you rug the throttle and when the trans actually releases the trans bake get a time delay box for trans brake.
Staging and launching on a 2 step is hard on the crankshaft. Hard on the converter, and hard on the transmission. Fix the tire and chassis set up to allow full use of the engine torque on launch.
The transbrake release delay box will correct your reaction time.

2 steps are for sissies or bad tire traction/poor chassis setup.

AMXstocker1
Pro
Pro

Post by AMXstocker1 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I Thought putting to floor and letting the converter limit it would be harder on the transmission. I've done it and it is fun but still felt like it was a goodway to break stuff i'm guessing his no launch feeling is the 1.76 or 1.80 first gear glide vs a 2.40 low turbo 400.

Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:36 am

you will most likely need to swap rear gears to get the 60' back...

I have seen many times where people have swapped in a glide and picked up ET and others who lost ET... it just depends on the combo. If it is a bracket racer I would run the 2 step.. to insure that you leave at the same rpm everytime... headsup is completely different!

Andy

Fireonthemountain

Post by Fireonthemountain » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:07 pm

AMXstocker1 wrote:I Thought putting to floor and letting the converter limit it would be harder on the transmission. I've done it and it is fun but still felt like it was a goodway to break stuff i'm guessing his no launch feeling is the 1.76 or 1.80 first gear glide vs a 2.40 low turbo 400.

My view is locking it in first and reverse is harder on everything.

Revving a converter up against any kind of brake kills the converter rpms and power usually. Flooring it from idle maximises everything to get the fastest times and highest stall power. Some may rev only part way against a brake, but they are trying to kill off power at the start (wheel spin) or sacrificing power for what they think is added consistence or to cheat lousy reaction times they have.

n2xlr8n
Pro
Pro

Post by n2xlr8n » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:36 pm

F-BIRD'88 wrote:Why are you using a 2 step? If you want it to launch the hardest, just rug the throttle and immediately release the trans brake. That way all the engine torque is applied immediately.
If the flash stall speed is a real 5200rpm it will launch at 5200 rpm and leave like a rocket.
This ^^

I used to launch my 540BBC notch foxbody off the two-step until a wise man told me this. Notice he said immediately release the transbrake.

Rocket is an apt descriptor.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.