broken axle or what happened

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro

broken axle or what happened

Post by chevy art » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:28 pm

my budy went to traCK TODAY. HAS 10 SECOND 66 NOVA WITH DANA 60 AND AFTERMARKET AXLES AND SPOOL. RELEASED TRANNY BRAKE, CAR TOOK OFF AND A LITTLE FURTHER OUT THE CAR GOT BENT OUT OF SHAPE A LITTLE. HE LET OFF, HIT IT AGAIN AND DID THE SAME THING. HE STOPPED AND WAS ABLE TO DRIVE IT DOWN TRACK TO RETURN ROAD, DROVE IT BACK TO TRAILER, AND THE CAR ONLY SENDS POWER TO ONE SIDE. OTHER SIDE WHEEL DOES NOT GET POWER. DID HE BRAKE AN AXLE BREAK ONE SIDE OF THE SPOOL?. I DONT UNDERSTAND IF THE CAR CAN DRIVE WITH JUST ONE TIRE TURNING. COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THIS SETUP WORKS THANKS ART

miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: broken axle or what happened

Post by miniv8 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:44 pm

The fact a 10 second car broke an aftermarket axle in a dana 60 is nothing short of a miracle.

But sure, if he broke an axle, the car will drive, kinda, normally...

You guys should make sure the axles engage the spool sufficiently on both sides.

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:14 am

X2!

:)

A spool will make it a direct connection for both axles, whether one is connected or not.
(main purpose of a spool to get power to both wheels with no slip)

Make sure it is not rotating on one side.
(just being 'squirrelly' can be many things)

If only one side is rotating when driveshaft is rotating, check everything on the non-rotating side.
Axle broke, axle coming out of spool (bearing retainer broke?), broken rear end axle tube, etc.

This is a real spool and not a welded pinion gears or mini spool?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Shee-yet, I drove about 750mi on a car with an axle broken off at the splines. Right side axle and it didn't damage the diff carrier on its way out.

The first time it happened, a left side axle broke, and the spiral fracture opened up the end of the carrier, which broke that bearing's inner race and added a ton of bearing preload. Turned .004 backlash into a hard interference fit, as well as destroying a pretty rare limited slip diff. Drove it 20mi to a friend's house and the R&P were making some VERY unhappy noises then! They weren't quite blued but the car was really unhappy about moving. (I set up my clutch diffs to >200ft-lb breakaway, driving on one axle was No Problem! Diff had more grip than a single tire does)

I witnessed a 12-second Mazda RX-3 snap a 35 spline axle in a Ford 9" once. Leaving the line at 8000rpm on nitrous can do that.