Powerglide no reverse

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Pro
Pro

Powerglide no reverse

Post by 1972ho » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Last month I was at the race track and had to be towed from the staging lanes to the pit area because my car would not start due a drained battery,But while I was being towed the tow driver started pulling me at least 50 plus mph for some reason.So I get the car started and go to engage reverse to get line up on the trailer and find out that I have no reverse but I have my foreward drive gear.Do you guys know if the tow caused a problem with the transmission reverse gear not working.

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Re: Powerglide no reverse

Post by John Wallace » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:05 am

Was the tranny in neutral when towed?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

1972ho
Pro
Pro

Post by 1972ho » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:40 am

I believe that it was but now seeing how I don't have the reverse gear working now has got me thinking maybe it could have been in reverse,if it was in reverse while it was being towed could this have damaged reverse.

Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:20 am

If your transmission was a stock Powerglide that still had the rear oil pump, then yes towing it with the shifter in reverse could have burned the reverse clutches.

The rear pump will create fluid pressure to the valve body. If the shifter would have been in low or high gear you could have effectively "push started" the car.

This only applies if your transmission has a rear pump.
Project Greenlight