Powerglide no reverse

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

1972ho
Expert
Expert

Powerglide no reverse

Post by 1972ho » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Last month I was at the race track and had to be towed from the staging lanes to the pit area because my car would not start due a drained battery,But while I was being towed the tow driver started pulling me at least 50 plus mph for some reason.So I get the car started and go to engage reverse to get line up on the trailer and find out that I have no reverse but I have my foreward drive gear.Do you guys know if the tow caused a problem with the transmission reverse gear not working.

John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Re: Powerglide no reverse

Post by John Wallace » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:05 am

Was the tranny in neutral when towed?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com

1972ho
Expert
Expert

Post by 1972ho » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:40 am

I believe that it was but now seeing how I don't have the reverse gear working now has got me thinking maybe it could have been in reverse,if it was in reverse while it was being towed could this have damaged reverse.

Greenlight
Pro
Pro

Post by Greenlight » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:20 am

If your transmission was a stock Powerglide that still had the rear oil pump, then yes towing it with the shifter in reverse could have burned the reverse clutches.

The rear pump will create fluid pressure to the valve body. If the shifter would have been in low or high gear you could have effectively "push started" the car.

This only applies if your transmission has a rear pump.
Project Greenlight

1972ho
Expert
Expert

Post by 1972ho » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:56 am

I solved the no reverse problem so I thought, I pulled the valve body and and cleaned it out blew air through the system topped off the oil level and had reverse back for about three 1/4 mile runs.So yesterday I was planning on going to the track and went to load up the car and as was wanting to back out of the garage pressed the transbrake switch and no reverse again.So now I’m confused about why this racing only trans keeps causing reverse not to work when nothing has been done to it. It has a protree trans brake the trans works in drive one and two but no reverse.Should I have the trans taken apart and inspected or is there something I can do with valve body again or do I need to get another valve body.Thanks for your Time.

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 am

Wonder if the solenoid is sticking. Some pro tree brakes have a second solenoid.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

1972ho
Expert
Expert

Post by 1972ho » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:54 am

The first time it happened I pulled the solenoid and checked for movement and seemed ok.Yesterday when it wouldn’t go in reverse I added about 3/4 qt of fluid and tried it out and it went into reverse but I shut if the engine to install trans tunnel and fired it back up now no reverse again.

1972ho
Expert
Expert

Post by 1972ho » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Just pulled the valve body again and there is nothing clogging up any of the passages and the transbrake plunger moves freely one thing I need to know is there any type of seal around the plunger.So what next take it to trans shop and let them handle it.

gowest

Post by gowest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Sounds like electrical ( low voltage possibly) or shifter adjustment. Does the t-brake hold at wot ?