Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Wheel studs....

Post by Caprimaniac » Sun May 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi; fellas.

Have too short screw- in Wheel studs. Have not found longer ones by any of the well- known brands.

They are 12mm, so that is part of the deal. If UNC, I bet I could get the correct length.

Lucky as I am, my bro is empolyed at a fastener- dealership.... He can get all sorts of Things, like dzus, bolt's, nuts.....a

Will a 12.9 ("high tensile steel") bolt do the job as a screw-in Wheel stud?

They will aproach 100mm length. They will be dragracing on 10.5" tyres.

Thanks
How to turn GURU in an instant.....

peejay
Guru
Guru

Re: Wheel studs....

Post by peejay » Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 pm

100mm! Why do they need to be that long? If it is for wheel spacers, I'd buy some bolt-in spacers instead.

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Post by Caprimaniac » Mon May 07, 2018 4:33 am

You are correct; spacers With bolts are the better solution.

However, there are two Things here: First the brake discs are 7mm thick. And I may fit a 10mm spacer in addition.

And Next; we have a rule here that states the Wheel studs have to protude Beyond the wheelnuts, at least the diameter of the bolt.

Even without the spacer, the Wheel studs are too short.

steve cowan
Expert
Expert

Post by steve cowan » Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 am

caprimaniac,
we have the same rule here in Australia for TECH
wheel stud must protrude through the wheel centre a minimum 1/2 the diameter of the wheel stud.
how fast are you running on a 10.5 tyre?
i think running spacers etc on a race car application is asking for trouble,i have seen wheel studs shear off on cars launching from the starting line.
i might be incorrect on this statement and i am happy to be corrected if required

steve c
steve c

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Post by Caprimaniac » Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 am

Hi, Steve. I totally agree.

However; when the spacer is resting on the center of the hub, and the Wheel is also resting on the spacer, the force on the Wheels are in the most part taken up by the spacer/ hub centre.

There has been alot of struggle to get this axle ready for race: First the bearing offset on the axles are wrong, so I have to fabricate a caliper bracket from blank instead of using the one in the kit....

Next; the disc hats were not drilled, and the guy helping me out on this kind of worked "ran out of time" so I had to scribe the bolt pattern by hand..... After adjustment they went on- somewhat centered....

The Wheel centers on the axle hubs were ALSO done wrong by the makers. Name not mentioned. This also made fabing up parts harder...
The same guy should have made me a spacer going on the Wheel hub, With Wheel centering. He failed out again and even didn't do it when I showed up With a set of spacers he could start With. One cut on thickness and two radial cuts would have done it....

So; I will have to dig into the People over here doing machine work to find a solution to this mess.

What have always frustated me, since the day I started doing cars, is the lack of mills and lathes to make parts.... not to mentioned 2- 3 multi axis CNC machines in different sizes.

So, anyone capable; get over here and give me a hand to finnish this mess.....

steve cowan
Expert
Expert

Post by steve cowan » Thu May 10, 2018 3:14 am

capri,
i feel your pain,
more often than not we pay way to much for materials,equipment and services,
i can offer you only the best of luck with your build,

steve c
steve c

stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 am

Retap for thread size you can get in the length you want? Might be able to drill and tap for next larger diameter too...
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:03 am

How's this thread doing??

BTTT..

Back when I converted my 1st Gen. Camaro over to Ford Bullitt wheels, I had Mosers redrill and tap for the Ford bolt circle and Ford 1/2" fasteners.

They set me up with Grade-8 stuff. Fronts were like great big 1/2" x 2-1/2" long allen wrench althread set screws and the back were 1/2" x 2-1/2" long althread hex head bolts.

Hope this is of use?

pdq67

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:47 am

Is this coming along fine??

pdq67

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Post by Caprimaniac » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:46 am

PDQ, it's getting along almost fine!!!

Brackets made, not welded yet.

Wheel centering spacers mounted to the hub.

Need to centre hats on the centering pieces.

Have not changed Wheel studs yet.

I doubt I can move to a larger thread size- I use the long shaft- through Wheels- Revoultion nits/ Wheels. I can look up and see if those are made for a larger stud. But the Shanks are thin enough as they are for a 12mm bolt.

I think the 100mm 12.9- bolts will do the job.

BTW..... I have almost talked myself (!) into building a 9" axle for this Project, along With New 5- stud Wheels. Need to get 2 x 3. members 2 different rear ratios would be Perfect for what I'm doing.

Probably will put it together With existing parts- at least for a test drive or two. Use the exixting axle for my street/ strip car- which NEEDS a beefier rear axle than the 7.5" I have desttucted 3 times now. Plan to og on the Scandinavian Drag-week in Sweden. Would'a been fun.