TRANSMISSION PAN BAFFLE

Transmission to Rear-end

Moderator: Team

shiftbyear

TRANSMISSION PAN BAFFLE

Post by shiftbyear » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 am

Is a transmission pan baffle required on hard launching drag cars? I see engines with elaborate pans to prevent sloshing. Just wondering if automatic transmissions ever starve for fluid during hard launches or wheelies. Thanks

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: TRANSMISSION PAN BAFFLE

Post by BOOT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:05 am

Not if it's full I believe.
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:12 am

What trans. where is the pickup in the pan?
Jim

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Actually, Stef's has built some baffled pans, I think maybe ATI sells them. I'm sure someone has found a need, or they wouldn't be making them.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm

I would think the slosh is so fast it doesn't matter and there is no rotating mass to keep it from entangling in or large void of open area for it to travel too like in a crankcase. If the fluid level is good and the filter/pick-up spaced low enough(deep pans use spacers), I don't see it being a problem. Just cause someone offers an option doesn't mean it does anything. It would be cool to see a clear pan with a gopro on launch to confirm what I think happens.

https://youtu.be/jL8-amRzsv4?t=3m5s
I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 am

Background:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9638313 wrote:
BACKGROUND
Conventional and hybrid vehicles alike typically require a transmission to provide speed and torque conversions from the engine to another device such as a differential, for example. Lubricating fluid or oil is necessary to reduce adverse side effects of friction and maintain operability of the moving parts within the transmission. The fluid circulates throughout the transmission via a pump and collects in a pan or sump at the bottom of the transmission housing.

In a typical transmission, a drive member such as a chain transfers torque from an output shaft to a differential, where the torque is distributed to the wheels of the vehicle. As the drive member revolves and works to transfer the torque, the drive member may contact the transmission fluid collected in the pan or sump. As the drive member does so, the transmission fluid may be splashed and sprayed throughout the outer regions of the interior of the transmission housing, especially when the drive member revolves at high speeds. Baffles have been implemented in vehicles to reduce the flooding of the drive member with the transmission fluid.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20060065487A1/en wrote:
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
[0001]
1. Field of the Invention
[0002]
The present invention relates to an oil separating structure for separating oil around rotating bodies in an automatic transmission.
[0003]
2. Description of the Related Art
[0004]
There has been an automatic transmission in which an oil pump is disposed apart from an input shaft, so that rotational driving force from the input shaft is transmitted to a driven sprocket of the oil pump via a chain to drive the oil pump.
[0005]
An example of this automatic transmission has been disclosed in Japanese Laid-Open Patent Publication (Kokai) No. 2003-156127.
[0006]
In this automatic transmission, an oil pump is installed in an upper part of a shift mechanism that converts engine revolutions, and driving force from an input shaft is transmitted to the oil pump via a chain.
[0007]
In this automatic transmission, however, if the oil pump is disposed within oil in the lower part of a transmission case, the oil is agitated by rotation of the chain, which drives the oil pump and sprockets of the oil pump, to produce air bubbles in the oil. The oil pump draws the oil containing the air bubbles through an oil strainer.

shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:17 pm

I was talking about a typical th400, c6 or 727, some of those cars are on the back bumper when they launch. Although I've never heard of problem, I was just wondering if the fluid sloshed aft long enough would the pickup get starved? I like the idea of the clear pan and gopro. Thanks

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 pm

The stocker has literally stood on the back bumper all the way out past the 330' clocks, tripping the 60' clocks at 1.38 with the back tires, with no apparent problems. It has a TH350 with a deep pan.

Pro Built Automatics

Post by Pro Built Automatics » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:06 pm

With the TH350, we would make a pickup that was toward the rear on vehicles that accelerate hard. Same with the TH400, but we would make a trap door arrangement to keep the oil from climbing into the rear gear train on hard acceleration. If you think or want to know if you are picking up air, put a 0 - 300 psi. gauge on it to see if you getting air. If you are the gauge needle will bounce all over the place, and usually the 2-3 shift will get longer and softer. You can overfill the TH350 by almost a quart if need be, but you cannot overfill the TH400, as it can or will blow out the extra oil.

shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 am

Pro Built Automatics wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:06 pm
With the TH350, we would make a pickup that was toward the rear on vehicles that accelerate hard. Same with the TH400, but we would make a trap door arrangement to keep the oil from climbing into the rear gear train on hard acceleration. If you think or want to know if you are picking up air, put a 0 - 300 psi. gauge on it to see if you getting air. If you are the gauge needle will bounce all over the place, and usually the 2-3 shift will get longer and softer. You can overfill the TH350 by almost a quart if need be, but you cannot overfill the TH400, as it can or will blow out the extra oil.
I deeply appreciate everyone's input, one can never stop learning. There's always some new to consider. Thanks