paint notes for trans case and engine block

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Larry Woodfin

paint notes for trans case and engine block

Post by Larry Woodfin »

The chassis of my new Land Shark rail is metallic silver. I will be painting the trans. case and engine block a matching/blending color.

I the “olden days” I used acrylic enamel with hardener, is that still a good choice? Or, is there a better choice now on the market? Considering that my paint equipment is 20 years old [but is good condition] and that my painting skills are amateurish, what will give me good, durable results?

Thanks
Larry Woodfin
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

Acrylic enamel with hardener is still a good choice. There are urethanes such as PPG Concept and Dupont Imron that are more scratch and chip resistant but the price goes up. If you really want a tough finish there is always powder coat. Being a frugalskate, I've always painted them with rustolem black for heat dissipation. It's a one coat deal that way.
Older I get the less I know for sure
Metrobilly

Post by Metrobilly »

On cast Iron, gray Rustolem applied with a brush. Very hard when baked on the first time you heat up the engine. Smooth finish is easy to clean. Easy to apply, no masking. It's easier to see leaks, cracks and such with a gray finish.

One disadvantage is it takes a while to dry.

Sometimes I use clear acrylic spray on aluminum. Its tricky to get good adhesion on aluminum

My engines are under a hood so esthetic's are secondary.