Removing oil from hot tank

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

e-tach
Expert
Expert
Removing oil from hot tank

Post by e-tach »

My hot tank is getting an oil film on top of the water...how should a guy go about soaking this up, a PIG mat?

Should you shut the heater off to let the oil come to the top?
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

You can buy a device called a "tramp oil skimmer" that's essentially a motor-driven belt. One end goes down into the tank, and part of it hangs off the side, where a blade scrapes any oil off and sends it down a guide to a catch can.

You can blot the oil up with shop rags, paper towels, or old newspapers if you're not in a hurry.
FloydODB
Pro
Pro
Post by FloydODB »

newspaper. leave the heat on. lay a sheet of the paper on the oil. and as soon as you do, the oil will stick to the paper. Promptly fold and lift the paper and throw it in a bucket. Repeat.
k-star
Guru
Guru

hot tank

Post by k-star »

I just did the newspaper deal to my hot tank last week and it worked great...

I did look at the Pig mats, but as long as the newspaper works,,why bother.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
sam-missle

Post by sam-missle »

FloydODB wrote:newspaper. leave the heat on. lay a sheet of the paper on the oil. and as soon as you do, the oil will stick to the paper. Promptly fold and lift the paper and throw it in a bucket. Repeat.
about 2 monthes ago someone had mentioned newspaper on here, i tryed it, and it works great. i agree with doing it with the heat on.
SAM-MISSLE
SOUTHERN AUTO MACHINE
931-728-7800
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Re: Removing oil from hot tank

Post by cpmotors »

Was digging thru old posts and saw this- just spent half the day trying to clean my tank again. Fun. Also found the hole the size of a dime in the line from the pump to the manifold that has reduced my cleaning abilites of late and caused a few foamovers-
Anybody every tried rigging up an external pump and filter system? Think it would work?
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008